Review of The Topographic Map Mystery:

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kenn Nyet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenn-nyet.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of The Topographic Map Mystery:

Post by Kenn Nyet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Topographic Map Mystery:" by Eric Clausen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Topographic Map Mystery: Geology's Unrecognized Paradigm Problem is a book that focuses on the origin of most rivers in America, their flow paths, tributaries, and poorly explained erosional escarpment mysteries. This book was written to let the geology profession know about an area they have long neglected. Also, this book explored the notion that the problem facing historical qualitative geomorphologists is that the accepted paradigm couldn't explain what most U.S. drainage basin rivers were showing. In addition, this book also gave evidence of how barbed tributaries suggest a southerly orientation. Furthermore, this book has pieces of evidence from frequently ignored detailed topographic maps found along drainage divides littered throughout it. This book also presented reasons why, for example, the Goshen Hole's escarpment-surrounded basin origin remains a mystery. If you want to know if the current geology paradigm, Cenozoic geology, and glacial history will enable the geology research community to explain the current geology knowledge gaps, read the rest of this book.

One thing I like about this book is how it presents some current academic gaps to which one can devote time. For example, geological literature has not been able to describe the origin of the La Poudre and Milner Passes and the Cache la Poudre-Colorado River drainage divide. Also, the Susquehanna River drainage basin water gap's origin remains a mystery. The Hoskin Basin Escarpment in south central Montana still has some unanswered questions.

The thing I dislike about this book is that the topographic maps and their interpretations presented in it are unique to the American continent. It didn't say anything about other parts of the world. The information presented in this book includes topographic details about Little Gravois Creek, the Montana River, etc. Also, this book is for the geology professional and was written with lots of maps and geology jargon. The content of this book might not make sense to you if you don't understand map reading.

To be honest, the content of this book did justice to its title because it presented topographic map mysteries and some unresolved geology problems. I didn't find any typos while reading this book, suggesting that the editors were exceptional with their editing. The author did extensive research before writing this book. Considering the above, I am confident in giving this book a four out of five stars rating.

Geomorphologists, mapmakers, and geologists will find the information in this book so helpful because it raises and answers some salient questions about these professions. Also, if you are a geomorphologist who is looking for some unanswered research questions to devote your time to, then read this book.

The Topographic Map Mystery:
View: on Bookshelves
Chee Amaka
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chee-amaka.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Chee Amaka »

This book seems like an interesting read. I would love to learn more about unanswered questions behind maps. I do hope the jargons won't affect my reading flow. Great review.
JkReviewer17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-najibullah-qanit.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by JkReviewer17 »

It is very nice that this book has focused on geography and I enjoyed reading your review!
Thank You
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

This book is focused on geography and map reading. This is a very nice book and it’s informative as well. I enjoyed reading your review
Book owly
Favorite Book: The Raven Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arakhsh-qanit.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Book owly »

Geography isn't my field of interest but your review seems it has unsolved mysteries and adventures which I like alot. I will give it a try. Your review is great 👍.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

I haven't truly read books that detail the geographic map, rivers, and geographic locations. This book would be nice to read and is of most importance to geologists.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I am not familiar with the areas in the book, but I appreciate the author for writing this book as his own way of saving the world. Wonderful review well-done!
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

If not boring, I would love to read this book and learn about the topography of America and have an idea about the tributaries. Thanks for the review.
Esther Godwin Ogechi
Currently Reading: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant’s Farm
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-godwin-ogechi.html
Latest Review: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin by Andri E. Elia

Post by Esther Godwin Ogechi »

From the first sentence, I was lost. I'm sorry, this isn't for me.
For I know the thought I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.Jeremiah 29:11
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

This review brought back my love for Geography as a subject. It's so informative and the book seems like one I would add to my to-read list. The origin of major rivers in America is an interesting topic to find out more about. Thanks for sharing.
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

From my point of view I feel like this book is educative and it’ll be beneficial to someone. I’ll check this book out to find out more.
Nurur-Rahman Mikail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nurur-rahman-mikail.html
Latest Review: Asterisk by Booth Milovnik

Post by Nurur-Rahman Mikail »

To me! I love your review but on the book you talked about, it's a 🤢🤮. Do really enjoy reading it or is it just that you are familiar with some or most words thier?! I wish the content structure is attractive 😑 🤒 i gat no choice!!!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”