Review of Love Me Anyway

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Awesomely Awkward Dating Tips for Beginners by Tina Kowalski

Review of Love Me Anyway

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Me Anyway" by Marquita Johnson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Family is supposed to be your shield from the world. They are supposed to be the people who love you unconditionally. Your family should be your safe place and safety network. Most people have this kind of family. Other people go through a totally different experience. They face rejection, abuse, judgement, criticism, violence, loneliness, and many more harms. Facing some or all of these changes your nature as a person. In Love Me Anyway, Marquita Johnson talks about her bad experience with her family and the stages she went through to heal. This is not a case that everyone understands. People who grew up in normal families and had a normal, loving relationship with their parents wouldn't be able to see how different things can be. In this book, the writer doesn't give many details of her abuse; it talks more about the hardships she faced as a result of that. She also explains how she got out.

The book has been very emotional for me. Writing this summary felt like I was writing about my life, not the book. I went through many of the things the writer mentioned. I really understand what it is like. The emotions you get when you find someone who went through the same experience as you are very strong and diverse. You feel sadness and relief at the same time. The writer was able to express really hard and traumatizing feelings in an honest, calm tone. She made it look simple, although I know it's not. I like how the writer opened her heart to talk about her pain and healing. She spoke from the heart, and that would always reach the heart.

There is nothing to hate about this book. You'll hate the hardships the writer had to go through. You'll hate the abuse. But you'll love the book. You'll love that there can be a happy ending to such a story. You'll love that it gives you hope. You'll appreciate knowing that you don't have to stay in this dark place forever.

The book is useful and expressive. The writer addresses many important topics. The book received professional editing. I could only notice one minor mistake. Therefore, I rate this book five out of five stars.

I recommend this book to everyone who doesn't have an ideal family. I recommend it to people who were abused or mistreated by their families. The book is triggering and very emotional, but the hope it presents is worth it.

Love Me Anyway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Reawakening the magic volume 1 by Claire De Voyant

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

It is really true that a lot of people face hard times with their families. A lot are not loved, some are abused and all. I'm glad a book like this exists even though I wish the author did not have to go through all that they went through.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I am glad that people who have endured abuse and difficulties are speaking up more and allowing those who can relate to feel seen and heard. This book sounds like it would be a challenge to read as it is a difficult topic to address. However, the more we speak about toxic families, the better we will be for our own families and our happiness in the future.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

Dealing with hard times is an almost universal experience, so this book is sure to be somewhat relatable to most people on some level.
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful review. I would love to commend the author for this master piece. Kodus
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Bianca Morano
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

I wish I could let my family read this book. Maybe in another life. Thank you for this insightful review. Sounds like this book really resonated with you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”