Review of The Ball

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 339
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: My Life's Stirring Adventures by Tom Leech

Review of The Ball

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ball" by BJ Favor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Betsy was going to the pharmacy when she ran into her high school friend, Janine. She hadn't seen her in a long time. Her friend took the opportunity to tell her they have been holding a class meeting every month and invited her to join. She wasn't that interested in the beginning, but after some repetitive invitations from her friend, she decided to go to a meeting. She met her old friends, and they were having elections. They gave her a role in the committee, and she started engaging in events with them. They were even planning to go to the Blue and Gold Ball, where she met her old friends. You can grab The Ball by BJ Favor to learn more about her reunion.

I like that the group kept communicating and tried to do fun activities. I like that they cared for their friends and their families. It was a nice gesture to ask about people who are sick or have passed away at every meeting and send them cards to show they cared. I liked that the group gave Betsy a role when she first joined them. I guess it was meant to attach her to the group and give her a sense of belonging. It was a nice touch. Also, it was nice that her friend didn't give up on her and kept asking her to join them. It's nice to show care for others.

Unfortunately, the pace of the book was slow for me. There were too many details, and they weren't interesting. The transition between sentences wasn't smooth. There was "I said" or "someone said" before every sentence. There are many other ways to make smoother transitions between the sentences. I would have liked to see more emotion in the story. I didn't know if someone was happy, sad, or excited. The story told us what everyone did without showing any interactions. It took away the life from the story.

The book received professional editing. I could only notice a couple of errors while reading it. The writer documented this period of her life. Taking into consideration that I am probably not the right audience for the book, I rate it three out of five stars.

The book was said to be a good read for older people. I believe this is the audience I can recommend the book to. The pace of the book would be appropriate for them. They might also relate to the event. In addition, I believe it can provide some entertainment if read to an elderly person.

The Ball
View: on Bookshelves
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Joseph Maima
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joseph Maima »

:techie-studyinggray: "The Ball" by BJ Favor, is a great book just by going through the review, it caught my attention and wanting to read the whole story.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”