Review of Aunt Sadie's Letters of Hope & Healing

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review of Aunt Sadie's Letters of Hope & Healing

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aunt Sadie's Letters of Hope & Healing" by Shari Lyn Anderson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Aunt Sadie's Letters of Hope & Healing by Shari Lyn Anderson is a heart-warming book that will leave you inspired and uplifted. The book is a compilation of 101 letters that the author's great aunt, Sadie Kleinberg, wrote to the author's mother, Rhoda Levine, who was just ten years old during her struggle with polio in 1941. The letters were written while Rhoda was hospitalized and quarantined, suffering from paralysis due to polio, with visiting hours minimized as much as possible. The letters were meant to bring her hope and healing during a very difficult time.

The book begins with a brief history of the author's Jewish background and how her family has fared over the years, especially through discrimination. The author then introduces us to Aunt Sadie and tells us about her mother's tight relationship with her great-aunt. From the outset, it is clear that Aunt Sadie is a remarkable woman. She is compassionate, empathetic, and wise beyond her years. Her letters to Rhoda are filled with love, encouragement, and wisdom that only come from a lifetime of experience.

As we read through Aunt Sadie's letters, we see the depth of her love for Rhoda. She reminds her niece that she is loved and that she is not alone in her struggle. She points out Rhoda's many qualities that make her special and unique. She encourages Rhoda to keep fighting and never give up hope. The letters are a testament to the power of love and the human spirit. I also liked how the content of the letters provided insight into Rhoda's healing journey, as I rooted for her recovery every step of the way too.

One of the things that struck me about the book is how relevant it still is today. Although the book is set in the 1940s, the themes of love, hope, and resilience are timeless. We can all relate to the feeling of being alone and afraid, and we can all benefit from the words of encouragement and support that Aunt Sadie provides in her letters.

The book also contained a few fascinating poems from Aunt Sadie that not only entertained her niece but also conveyed valuable lessons in a fun and accessible way, from lessons about the value of patience to the significance of having a good character and treating others with respect. The book was professionally edited, and I did not find any aspect I did not like about it. Therefore, I rate Aunt Sadie's Letters of Hope & Healing five out of five stars.

Overall, Aunt Sadie's Letters of Hope & Healing is a beautiful book that will leave you feeling inspired and uplifted. It is a testament to the power of love and the human spirit, and it is a reminder that, no matter what challenges we face, we are never alone. I highly recommend this book to people who need a little bit of hope and healing in their lives.

Aunt Sadie's Letters of Hope & Healing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

These letters sound like a lovely account of Aunt Sadie's love for the author's mother. Kudos to the author for sharing this relationship, encourangement, and bit of history with others.
Thank you for your excellent review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Jê hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jê hii »

Thus book is really inspiration. Your review is very complete dear.
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

This sounds like a book that will bring comfort to not only those with polio, but to the sick and hopeless in general.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”