Review of The Parrot's Perch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Re: Review of The Parrot's Perch

Post by Donna Walker »

This sounds like such a heartbreaking story of the horrible atrocities that this woman had to endure. I don't think that I could possibly bring myself to read it. The sample was more than enough for me, and your review confirms that this book is definitely not for me. 
Ann Kidiavai
Currently Reading: Folder or Crumpler
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-kidiavai.html
Latest Review: From Burnout to Belonging by Kimberly Carozzi

Post by Ann Kidiavai »

Karen Keilt strongly believes that by narrating her experiences with the police dating 37 years back, will bring to an end the injustices and corruption in the Brazilian government and authorities. Am saddened to learn, that the horrible experiences did not only start with the police, but her own father and catalyzed by her own blood brother! It's not only her life at stake here, her marriage, mental and physical status and even her ability to raise her child is equally paralyzed. It's a relieve to me that somehow, she manages to overcome the storm and for that reason she has the courage to accept the invitation and courageously narrate these horrible experiences. The book is already a must read for me!
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I hope Karen Keilt finally felt a sense of peace, comfort, and healing after narrating her harrowing experiences to the Brazilian National Truth Commission 37 years later. I also hope that her testimony helped to put an end to the injustice and corruption in the police force and government. Excellent, thorough book review.
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

In her memoir, "The Parrot's Perch," Karen Keilt demonstrates remarkable resilience and bravery as she recounts her terrifying encounters with injustice and corruption in Brazil.
Peace Usiemwanta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-usiemwanta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Peace Usiemwanta »

The fact that this is from a first person’s point of view narrative is what’s gotten my attention to want to read the whole book. The struggles of Karen and how each was overcome is something I would like to find out. Karen having gone through series of problems in life and not giving up in the end, I believe is a trait we all must emulate a reason why this could be a self discovery book for everyone who reads it. I do hope that in the course of Karen sharing her story with the world, the corrective effects she wanted it to bring to the society is achieved and I hope she finally gets the peace she deserves. This review was excellent, it gave the sense of interest on the story being shared.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an inspirational non-fiction memoir about the life of the author and what she had to endure from her childhood experience with her family, to her life during and after her first marriage. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

The incredible story of the author is what I am looking ahead to knowing. It was exciting to know how she endured in jail and how she manage to escape from the disaster. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by SINGH JAY »

Congratulations on BOTD!
You are immediately drawn into this true narrative thanks to the expert writing. You are there with Karen as she navigates this horrifying landscape of injustice and assault. It is impossible to keep track of time while reading this captivating story.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A thought provoking memoir "The Parrot's Perch" by Karen Keilt, which follows the life of the author and what she had to endure her experience with the Brazilian police 37 years ago. I want to read this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A thought provoking memoir "The Parrot's Perch" by Karen Keilt, which follows the life of the author and tells us what she had to endure her experience with the Brazilian police 37 years ago. I want to read this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Chris Agbara »

Karen Keilt's memoir, The Parrot's Perch, is a powerful testament to the resilience of the human spirit. Her courageous decision to share her harrowing experiences with such vivid detail is truly commendable. The book offers valuable lessons in survival and overcoming adversity. I couldn't put it down! Highly recommended for fans of non-fiction and memoirs
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Perseverance and the human spirit are what always draw me to memoirs. It seems like a remarkable book. I don't know much about Brazil and its troubles. Great review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 352

Post by Tars »

Not to offend anyone, but even though I am somewhat interested in the inner workings of police departments all over the world for comparison reasons, I prefer to get data by watching TV-shows. I understand that memoir would have provided more real experience, but visual fiction is still more exciting, in my opinion. Congratulations on BOTD!
Mia Bui
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mia-bui.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur

Post by Mia Bui »

This is a heavy read. I think it's endlessly inspiring when someone perseveres and fights and makes it through against all odds. Life happens but we always have a choice. Will definitley read this book.
tortle0o0
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortle0o0.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by tortle0o0 »

This sounds like quite an intense read! How does someone cope with false imprisonment? And being a single mother no-less!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”