Review of He Uttered Soulmate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of He Uttered Soulmate

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "He Uttered Soulmate" by Athena Coleman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

He Uttered "Soulmate" is a book by Athena Coleman. If we are prepared to listen, the author of this book demonstrates that God talks to us. She leads readers on a discovery-filled adventure. Although the person she meets doesn't appear to be showing her love in return, the author had heard the term "soulmate", and Tristan seemed to match the expectation. After going through a disastrous relationship, Athena must decide what to do as she moves forward. Should she cling to the phrase she heard? Should she exercise extra caution since Tristan doesn't reciprocate her love? Read this book to find out more.

This book was written by the author in an easy-to-read style. It was easy to understand and follow through. It's hard not to be impressed with the author's note-taking skills. She recounted the sights she had taken in, the music she had been exposed to, and the alterations she saw in her surroundings for each day she narrated; this impressed me greatly. I enjoyed how she took me on a tour through this book, taking me from one point to another. I thought the author was brave for not holding back and writing about even the embarrassing incidents.

Even though I enjoyed these aspects of the book, there were a lot of things that made reading difficult for me. The author did a good job of describing her regular interactions, but I thought some of the details were overly descriptive. Some of these activities were difficult to relate to the narrative arc of the story; it was hard to connect some of these activities to the buildup of the story. These extra details began to feel like fillers after a while. I also had trouble agreeing with the author's experience. I didn't believe it was appropriate to pursue a man who had already committed to his spouse because "He uttered soulmate." This seemed to me to be in stark contrast to the way the Holy Spirit operates. I don't think the Holy Spirit will assign you a soulmate who has already committed to an existing partner.

Taking into consideration my observations, I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars. This book was perfectly edited; I found no errors in it. However, I wasn't comfortable with the way the author switched tenses. Because of the negative aspects I already mentioned, I had to deduct three stars. My reading experience was greatly interrupted by these aspects.

I recommend this book to Christian readers who want to be inspired to continue to trust God no matter the circumstances they find themselves in.

He Uttered Soulmate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for your honest and detailed review.I appreciate how you commended the author's note-taking skills and the portrayal of real-life events without holding back, adding depth to the book. However, I understand why you deducted three stars from your rating since some details were overly descriptive and didn't quite fit the narrative arc. I also appreciate your opinion on the appropriateness of pursuing someone who is already committed to their spouse, which shows your insightful mind. Although the book wasn't perfect, your recommendation for religious readers who want to be inspired to trust God regardless of their situation makes it intriguing. Thank you again for taking the time to review this book!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”