Review of An Angry Bird On Monday

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of An Angry Bird On Monday

Post by Jane Ogwang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Angry Bird On Monday" by wilfredo alvelo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In our unending pursuit of a better world, it is essential that we look at issues from different perspectives. If we are going to see and understand the plight of a group or section of people, then we must look at it from their perspective. French writer Antoine de-Saint wrote that the only way to change the world is to change the lens through which we view it. This book does precisely that.

In his book, An Angry Bird On Monday, Wilfredo Alvelo masterfully presents the challenge of poverty and homelessness in America through a fictional tale of a homeless man. The book's title aptly reflects the daily frustration that homeless people feel as they struggle to live in a society that often overlooks them. The author highlights the paradox of the problem by giving the staggering figures of poverty and homelessness in arguably the wealthiest nation on Earth. Through the protagonist's voice, the book highlights their issues, including poverty, lack of running water, and the struggle to make ends meet. Finally, the protagonist explores the emptiness inside and around him, explaining how it drives him mad yet also allows him space to create something. The book also delves into other issues, such as war, democracy, modernity, wokeness, and freedom and their impacts on our lives.

I absolutely enjoyed reading this book. What struck me most about it was the author's writing style. It was unique and poetic. The protagonist's musings were raw, honest, and passionate. It was a vulnerable expression of emotions that left me racking my brain and yearning for more. The short and fragmented sentences captured my attention and improved the reading experience. I also loved that Wilfredo used various writing tools in his work. I, for instance, enjoyed the rhetorical questions in the book and kept stopping to meditate on them.

I also liked the book's length. The author captured his message in concise writing. I read the whole thing in one sitting and spent the rest of the time thinking about it. I also loved how compelling some arguments in the book were. His ideas on freedom were interesting, and he delivered that message perfectly. Even when I disagreed with his opinions, I still enjoyed his arguments. For instance, his complaint that talks nowadays can easily pass as anti-semitic, homophobic, or misogynic was one I disagreed with, but I respected his opinion. I just think that calling for empathy and care in our speech isn't something we should lament about. Despite being poetic, the author used accessible and straightforward language. The only flaw, however, was that, given its length, I expected it would be free of errors, yet it wasn't. I actually noticed a number of errors.

I, therefore, give the book a rating of four out of five stars. It is a deep and thought-provoking book that calls us to reflect on several issues. Another round of editing will definitely improve its rating. Anyone seeking a book that explores humanity and addresses issues of inequality in a thought-provoking way will definitely enjoy reading this book.

An Angry Bird On Monday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

A book that explores humanity and addresses issues of inequality in a thought-provoking way is one I'll love to read. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”