Review of Barefoot In Hells Canyon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review of Barefoot In Hells Canyon

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Barefoot In Hells Canyon" by Bryan Gould.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A river that tumbles between sheer cliffs in the deepest gorge on the American continent - Hells Canyon. Two nineteen-year-olds planning to ride a war surplus raft through its white-water rapids. One of them can't swim. Three days' provisions for a six-day trip. What could possibly go wrong?

Barefoot in Hells Canyon is Bryan Gould's memoir of his trip down the Snake River in the summer of 1958 with his pard (partner) Glen Burns. Although they were not literally barefoot to start with, to say that the boys were on a shoestring budget is an understatement. They reached their starting point by hitchhiking and hopping freight trains, working on farms for meals and hobnobbing with hobos.

As Bryan says to Glen when conferring with him about his memories of the trip, you don't see hobos riding on freight trains nowadays. As is often the case with memoirs, this is a unique first-person account of a world now vanished. While marooned in the backwater town of Hagerman, Idaho, the pair discover a drugstore with an old-fashioned soda fountain. The attendant is so fascinated by their travels that he repeatedly serves them traditionally mixed Cokes on the house, mostly in their favourite cherry flavour. (If you've ever wondered why you've never come across pineapple Coke, read this book to find out!)

The story sparkled with many such details, all vividly described in a literary style. While it was all fascinating, as a consequence of the amount of detail, the duo's arrival at Hells Canyon was a long time coming. This means that the title is a little misleading since Hells Canyon was just one leg of a longer, more complex journey.

This is not to say that that part was not the highlight, of course. In Hells Canyon, the power of the plunging waters was at its most raw. The boys' very survival was under threat from the forces of nature, their raft and provisions puny in comparison. Bryan obviously lived to tell the tale, which includes many reflections, often in conversation with Glen.

For, rather as the boys gained different perspectives on the river when they scouted the hairiest rapids from above before attempting them, the present-day chapters gave a longer view of the events. On the one hand, those sometimes disrupted the story's pace. On the other hand, they provided valuable background information, some gleaned thanks to modern technology.

A map at the beginning orients readers further. It shows the river as it is now. It would have been interesting to see a map with the names of the actual creeks and rapids the boys rode over (or under, or through, as applicable). I appreciate that the map they used, courtesy of Snake River expert Blaine Stubblefield, was a casualty of the trip!

I rate this white-knuckle ride through a bygone era four out of five stars. I could not quite give a perfect rating because of the slight pacing issues mentioned above. The title does not necessarily need to be changed, but the book could be improved with a clear indication that Hells Canyon is only one section of a larger story. As is, the balance felt a little off. Also, I found more than ten errors, although these were minor and non-distracting: the print version I read was cleanly put together. Gould did a fantastic job of harnessing his and his pard's memories for posterity to enjoy.

Barefoot In Hells Canyon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for the honest and thorough review Your review has definitely piqued my interest in the book, and I'm excited to read about their white-knuckle ride through the rapids and unique encounters, like the drugstore with an old-fashioned soda fountain. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the future.
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

I love memoirs and this seems kike an intriguing one. I'll check it out when I find time to do so. Great review.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Adiskidan wrote: 22 May 2023, 14:59 Thank you for the honest and thorough review Your review has definitely piqued my interest in the book, and I'm excited to read about their white-knuckle ride through the rapids and unique encounters, like the drugstore with an old-fashioned soda fountain. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the future.
I'm always amazed by the memories people share! Thank you for reading and commenting.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Bright U wrote: 22 May 2023, 16:57 I love memoirs and this seems kike an intriguing one. I'll check it out when I find time to do so. Great review.
There's undoubtedly something special about people's personal stories. Thank you for your comment!
Mod
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for an amazing and intriguing review Alice! Yes, what could possibly go wrong with a tight budget and no swim experience in a long trip? I like the way you've composed the review, with a intriguing opening and interesting snippets from the book. Well done!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Kavita Shah wrote: 23 May 2023, 04:27 Thank you for an amazing and intriguing review Alice! Yes, what could possibly go wrong with a tight budget and no swim experience in a long trip? I like the way you've composed the review, with a intriguing opening and interesting snippets from the book. Well done!
Thank you for your kind comment!
Mod
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

From just one word, "hitchhiking", I am now captured by the book. That activity sounds so interesting to me. I'm pretty sure the book brought an adventurous read for us interested. Your review, Alice, is captivating!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I love reading your reviews, Alice! They are very detailed, honest, and insightful. You and I have the same balance pet peeve. I don't like when a book is “off-balance.” Can’t wait to read more of your reviews!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 23 May 2023, 06:42 From just one word, "hitchhiking", I am now captured by the book. That activity sounds so interesting to me. I'm pretty sure the book brought an adventurous read for us interested. Your review, Alice, is captivating!
It brought back memories of hitchhiking, for example getting stranded in out-of-the-way towns that one never wanted to go to in the first place. But if hitchhiking is dangerous, that's nothing compared to freight hopping!

Thank you for your kind comment.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Meghan Soderholm wrote: 23 May 2023, 07:30 I love reading your reviews, Alice! They are very detailed, honest, and insightful. You and I have the same balance pet peeve. I don't like when a book is “off-balance.” Can’t wait to read more of your reviews!
Thanks! I kept thinking, "When are they going to get to Hells Canyon finally?" Not that the rest wasn't great, but ...

Thank you for your kind comment!
Mod
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I agree. It's really difficult for me to read a book where I have to read "between the lines" in order to figure out the direction of the plot or the significance of the title. You're very welcome! I am learning so much from reading your reviews!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Kebun Bunga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Kebun Bunga »

The review of "Barefoot in Hells Canyon" by Bryan Gould provides an engaging and detailed account of the memoir. The reviewer effectively sets the stage by describing the daring adventure of two nineteen-year-olds navigating the treacherous Snake River rapids in Hells Canyon. The mention of one being unable to swim and the limited provisions create anticipation for what could go wrong.

The reviewer appreciates the unique perspective of a first-person account from a bygone era. The vivid descriptions and literary style used to depict the journey and encounters along the way add depth to the story. The exclamations of present-day reflections and conversations with the pard offer additional insights and a broader view of the events.

While the reviewer finds the detailed descriptions fascinating, they note that the arrival at Hells Canyon took considerable time, misleading the title. The story's pacing is mentioned as a minor issue, with occasional disruptions caused by present-day chapters. The reviewer suggests improving the balance and indicating that Hells Canyon is just one part of a larger narrative.

The inclusion of a map and the mention of minor errors in the print version are appreciated. Despite these critiques, the review rates "Barefoot in Hells Canyon" with four out of five stars, highlighting the gripping nature of the story and the author's skill in preserving the memories of the adventure.

Overall, the review effectively captures the essence of the memoir and provides constructive feedback for further improvement while acknowledging the book's strengths and the enjoyment it offers readers.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”