Review of Feathered Canyons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Feathered Canyons

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Feathered Canyons" by jeannette hanby.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Feathered Canyons: Finding Treasures In The Golden State is a captivating memoir by Jeannette Hanby, a Southern California native who embarked on a four-year journey traveling up and down the West Coast during the 1960s. Reflecting on a lost era, the book touches on the lives of people from multiple generations, exploring everything from the life of hippies to gold mining to finding one's true purpose amidst the changing tides of modernization. After her plans to travel to Mexico fall through, Hanby sets out to discover herself and her aspirations. Her intimate story is one of resilience and self-discovery as she shares her journey with readers. Hanby's Feathered Canyons is a captivating memoir, where she reveals even the whispers of ghosts and small voices of the elder generation telling the stories of history.

Feathered Canyons is not only a well-written memoir but also visually captivating. Jeannette Hanby's use of poems at the beginning of each chapter adds a unique touch of elegance and provides an insight into what is to come. The photographs and drawings included in the book were a real highlight, as they allowed me to visualize the landscapes, wildlife, and people she encountered on her journey in a way that words alone could not achieve. Hanby's descriptive writing paired with the stunning visuals made for an immersive reading experience that truly brought the book to life.

This memoir follows the journey of a young woman as she discovers her true self. While there are a few mildly suggestive scenes, they are presented tastefully and appropriate for mature readers. Overall, I found no significant negative aspects to the book, aside from minor typos.

I thoroughly enjoyed Feathered Canyons and rate it 4 out of 5 stars. Jeannette Hanby's memoir reads like an enthralling nonfiction romantic adventure, taking readers on a journey through the changing landscape of the West Coast in the 1960s. I was captivated by her vivid descriptions of the places she visited and the people she met, as well as the poems that opened each chapter and set the tone for the upcoming events. I deducted one star due to the number of typos, but these errors do not detract from the reading experience.

Hanby's journey of self-discovery and the obstacles she faced along the way were truly inspiring, and I would highly recommend this memoir to anyone looking for a fascinating read or are just starting to read memoirs. This book may also be of particular interest for those who enjoy looking into the social history of the United States along the West Coast during the 1960s, particularly from a woman’s point of view.

Feathered Canyons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for your thorough review I enjoyed reading how this memoir takes readers on a journey through the changing landscape of the West Coast in the 1960s. The mention of visual aids such as poems, photographs, and drawings truly adds to the reading experience. I appreciate your honesty in pointing out some minor typos, which is something Hanby can consider revising in future editions. Nonetheless, you highlighted the book's strengths, making it an intriguing read for anyone interested in memoirs and social history. Your insightful review has made me intrigued to pick up this book and go on Hanby’s journey of self-discovery. Thank you again for your outstanding review!
Deborah Campion
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah-campion.html
Latest Review: Bone Necklace by Julia Sullivan

Post by Deborah Campion »

This review greatly piques my interest and Feathered Canyons is now on my want to read shelf. thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”