Review of You're Not from Around Here, Are You?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Savina Visintin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Review of You're Not from Around Here, Are You?

Post by Savina Visintin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You're Not from Around Here, Are You?" by Martin Lehfeldt.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

You're Not From Around Here, Are You? by Martin Lehfeldt is one of the most original books about the South I have ever read. The story begins a few decades ago when the author, a white Northerner, moves to the South to direct a teaching internship program. From that moment on, Lehfeldt will have the opportunity to observe the South up close and, with his great spirit of observation and humor, will reveal many episodes that he experienced firsthand. He enlightens us about places he has visited, people he has met, and local customs (for example, regarding language and food). He also dwells on serious topics such as racial issues. It is a fascinating journey that will not fail to excite curious readers.

You're Not From Around Here, Are You? is a book that I enjoyed reading because it tells funny and interesting stories. Lehfeldt shares many anecdotes with us, so this book has something to say to all readers. Whether you are interested in racial issues, curious about Southern customs, or want to learn something new, this book is for you.

Lehfeldt brings us to know many places and people, and I believe that this variety (in addition to the author's engaging way of narrating) is the real strength of this book. There are many anecdotes, so I will limit myself to mentioning only a few of my favorites. One of the places that intrigued me the most was certainly the National Coon Dog Cemetery (reserved only for this breed) and its history. I also enjoyed getting to know a figure like Mrs. Crane (Lehfeldt's children's caretaker), whom otherwise I would never have known, and also a distinguished personality like that of Vivian Henderson, the president of Clark College in Atlanta. The author made a splendid portrait of him.

The last thing I would add about this book is that overall it is well-edited, and I found very few errors while reading. I must also add that they are almost irrelevant and have not distracted me at all.

You're Not From Around Here, Are You? absolutely deserves 5 out of 5 stars because I found only positive aspects in it. I believe all those interested in the South and its unique features will find this book to their liking. Furthermore, it can appeal to those who are not specifically interested in this topic but love books with lots of humorous stories and food for thought.

You're Not from Around Here, Are You?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

Humor induced in tackling difficult topics like racism is a good way to take to story forward. Glad the writer used it for his experiences. The review touches on the major topics and I found it to be a good one.
Robin Knight 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Robin Knight 1 »

Being from the south, it's is hard to get people to see past all the negativity from the past. From your review I gather that the author has found a way around that to open more doors for readers to learn. You gave just enough away to encourage people to read the book to follow the journey. Nice review.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

I, for one, do not know what "North" and "South" means. The reviewer assumes everyone in OBC is American. Anyway, the review is well written, besides the ambiguity of the said terms.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”