Review of Hidden in the Open

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Review of Hidden in the Open

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hidden in the Open" by Millie Korman Selinger.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Hidden in the Open by Millie Korman Selinger is an emotional but riveting account of the horrors that occurred during the Holocaust, with direct quotes from the author’s mother. The author’s mother recounted the story of her life as a young girl born a Jew in Poland. She began with the story of the invasion of the Nazis in Łódź. She had completely assumed a new identity as a gentile and catholic woman and fully relinquished her Jewish ancestry. From living in Łódź, she moved to Warsaw. During World War II, she resumed work as a typist and obtained fake Aryan (a superior race of the nazi) birth certificates for her husband and the author’s uncle. She had previously falsified hers because faking documents was the only way for Jews to survive. There were events of the author struggling to recover from an illness and the family wrestling under communist rule in Poland. They eventually moved to Czechoslovakia and later started planning their escape to the United States. The author’s mother is a very devoted and relentless woman. This book highlights the resilience and determination of survivors of the atrocities committed during the Holocaust. 

The author's mother displayed an indescribable quality and character that kept me captivated and compelled me to keep turning the pages of this book. Her unshakable tenacity is truly admirable, and I am grateful to Millie Korman Selinger for taking me on an unforgettable journey through her mother's life and also giving me an intimate look at the harrowing events of the Nazi era. The gravity of the horrors her mother and other family members endured is unfathomable, and the fact that she is able to recount these traumatic experiences is a testament to her resilience and strength. Her meticulous documentation of her family's history is nothing short of exceptional, with the inclusion of relics, photographs, and documents that left a lasting impression on me. 

I have no issues with any part of this book. It records one of the world’s most devastating events, and survivors can tell their stories however they wish. The author’s style of writing is excellent, so there is genuinely nothing to dislike about the book. Additionally, it was exceptionally well edited.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. There is no reason to remove a star. The extraordinary care the author’s mother put into preserving the artefacts throughout the war is outstanding. Also, the addition of clear images of these artefacts by the author in the book is truly commendable.

On the recommendation, I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the history of the Holocaust and the stories of survivors. This book offers a unique perspective on the Holocaust, as it is a memoir written by the daughter of a survivor who vividly recounts her mother's experiences during the Nazi regime.

Hidden in the Open
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

You are absolutely right. The holocaust was one of the world's most devastating events. Glad someone could enlighten us regarding the traumatic event. Thanks for introducing me to the book.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for this incredible review. Your review gave me a detailed and well-structured insight into the events that took place before and after the invasion of the Nazis in Łódź, Poland. The narrative treatment from the author's standpoint must have helped create an immersive perspective of that time and is quite laudable.
Kachikwu Emmanuel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kachikwu Emmanuel »

📖 Based on the recommendation, I wholeheartedly suggest this book to anyone intrigued by the history of the Holocaust and the narratives of survivors. It provides a distinctive viewpoint on the Holocaust, being a memoir penned by the daughter of a survivor who vividly portrays her mother's encounters during the Nazi regime. 👍
Last edited by Kachikwu Emmanuel on 22 May 2023, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

I'd love to read about the resilience of the survivors of the Holocaust. It'll be such an intriguing story. Good job.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”