Review of Painters, Philosophers and Poets Sustain A Seven-Year Cycle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Review of Painters, Philosophers and Poets Sustain A Seven-Year Cycle

Post by Helen Akoth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Painters, Philosophers and Poets Sustain A Seven-Year Cycle" by Lyn Drummond.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Painters, Philosophers and Poets Sustain A Seven-Year Cycle is a memoir by Lyn Drummond. It follows the author's travels at random places from 2011 to 2018. The places visited spread across Europe, Asia, the United States, and Australia, among others. Where applicable, the author discussed renowned painters, philosophers, scientists, and poets who lived or left footprints in those areas she visited while she simultaneously analyzed their works. She also comes up with thought-provoking commentaries on various issues, such as conservation, spirituality, the problems refugees face when seeking asylum, and age-based discrimination in the job market. This book also follows the author's journey towards individuation, a theory developed by Carl Jung, a Swiss psychiatrist. I immensely enjoyed reading this, as there were several things to learn from the author's travels and life.

Several things appealed to me in this book and enhanced my enjoyment of it. First, I liked that the topics were chronological and well-arranged, starting from the events that happened in 2011 onwards. This makes them easy to follow. Second, the book's chapters were short and engrossing, devoid of unnecessary details. This helped maintain my concentration and enjoyment from the start until the end. Third, I liked that the author included her photographs of the places she visited. This not only broke the monotony of written text but also enhanced the credibility of the story being told. And lastly, I liked that the book also has a bibliography at the end of the book, and if needed, readers can explore the concepts discussed further.

What I liked most was how the author captivatingly captured the places she visited. Some of the places discussed are famous destinations listed among the UNESCO World Heritage sites, and this book can act as a great inspiration to explore them. Readers who love traveling and adventure will find the details informative.

Overall, I immensely enjoyed this book and couldn't find anything to dislike about it. I found no errors, evidencing its professional editing. Therefore, I am glad to give Painters, Philosophers and Poets Sustain A Seven-Year Cycle by Lyn Drummond five out of five stars. This book deserves each of the stars I've awarded it, as it is well-executed and full of informative topics worth reflecting on.

I highly recommend this book to fans of travelogues. Readers who like informative memoirs with thought-provoking, philosophical topics will also love it. I didn't find anything that could make me caution anyone against picking this well-written, informative book.

Painters, Philosophers and Poets Sustain A Seven-Year Cycle
View: on Bookshelves
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Thank you for your review, I enjoyed reading it. I like this idea of discussing renowned painters, philosophers, scientists, and the footprints they left in those places the author visited. She intertwines her personal journey with those historical famous personalities, and I find this idea original and refreshing. I do not understand the part from the title about "...Sustain a Seven-Year Cycle". How did these famous people 'sustain' and why a 'cycle'? I guess we have to read the book to find out more.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”