Review of Down from the Mountain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Review of Down from the Mountain

Post by Andrada Madalina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Down from the Mountain" by Brian Vickery.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Down from the Mountain by Brian Vickery is a memoir about commitment. It illustrates the author's life experiences, his regrets, and enjoyable moments. Also, this non-fiction book presents themes such as leadership, survival, and comradeship.

Briefly, the 17 chapters of this book focus on Brian Vickery's military career. He shares his vague memories of his childhood, the sports he practiced, and the challenges he experienced during the Vietnam War. Also, Brian presents his family background and his personal achievements.

I liked how the author highlighted the contrast between his family life and the war experience. I appreciated how he described his job as a training officer in different regiments and his family adaptation in the married quarter. For instance, I empathized with the guilt that consumed him when he was with his family, knowing that he had to go back to the war zone. Also, I enjoyed that Brian included various hilarious moments, like the presence of an officer's python at morning tea.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. I appreciated the short descriptions of the operations in South Vietnam and that the author succinctly explained the degree of difficulty of the missions and the climatic conditions. I was impressed with how Brian faced the war's hardships despite fatigue, dehydration, and dangers at every step. For example, I loved his commitment both to his job and to his wife, Carole, and their two daughters. Also, unlike other biographies about the war, the presentation of the completed trainings and courses did not bore me, and the sadism of some staff members highlighted the military life even better.

I enjoyed the descriptive writing style and liked the book's structure as a journal. I empathized with the author's complexes and appreciated that he shared both the pleasant and dramatic experiences of his life. His unforgettable memories and adventures from jungle warfare captivated me, and I never questioned the accuracy of his stories. Also, Down from the Mountain was professionally edited since I only discovered two minor closing punctuation errors. So, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to people who like military biographies and social history. It is perfect for those interested in the experiences of war and the administration of a battalion, especially those who would like to read about the adventures of a baby boomer. Also, Down from the Mountain is suitable for young adults and adults because it has non-borderline profanity and no erotic content.

Down from the Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

Acquiring life lessons from someone who has been in the war is definitely a great worth reading. However, the only issue used to be the training part. The narrative in other books used to be too straight. Your review specifically mentiones that the training and courses did not bore you. So. this is definitely going on my 'want to read' shelf.
Thanks for the review
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

Lovers of military biographies and social history will have a great time reading through this book. You delivered a great review. Well done.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

When a book is structured like a journal, we see a personal side of the author that shows vulnerability and has no limits. It's incredible to read about the journeys and obstacles of soldiers. Your review is insightful and a pleasure to read.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”