Review of Never Do Anything Just Right

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Review of Never Do Anything Just Right

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Never Do Anything Just Right" by Rod Jahner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Never Do Anything Just Right by Rod Jahner is a humorous memoir that reflects upon the author’s life experiences. Jahner has a casual writing style that conveys entertaining anecdotes and vignettes from his life. Each chapter focuses on a significant period in his life, beginning with his youth in North Dakota. His employment opportunities took him to Denver, St. Louis, and eventually Singapore. Along the way, he met and married Cindy. Together they raised two sons. Each chapter contains brief descriptions of noteworthy events that are often humorous and relatable. Jahner explained that his mother had researched her father’s move from Russia to the United States for a paper she wrote in high school. However, she did not keep a copy, so the family does not have that history. This book provides a family history with humorous details and reflections.

The author made friends easily wherever he traveled. He described his friendships in detail and devoted a chapter of the book to close friends who have passed away. The book is sentimental at times, and the author expressed gratefulness for his blessings. Jahner detailed a challenging time when his son was sick in the hospital. However, despite any hardships Jahner and his family may have endured, the overall tone of the book is positive and humorous. The author managed to find a humorous side to the stories told in this book.

This book was very entertaining to read. The author is a gifted storyteller. His recollections cover a wide range of topics and provide a family history that conveys joy and gratitude for the life he has led. I was fascinated by his decision to uproot his family and move to Singapore for ten years. That is what I enjoyed most about the book. His family took it all in stride. His sons excelled at school and sports. Their experiences living in another country and traveling enriched their lives.

Jahner’s pride in his sons is evident in every chapter. I especially enjoyed reading his description of the wise choices they made in choosing their wives. He appreciated the growth of his family and seemed to relish being a grandfather. It was touching to read excerpts from his Caring Bridge description of when his son, Kyle, became sick in 2018. It was heartbreaking to read about their experiences at the time. He described his son’s ordeal in a heartfelt and honest way. I think a variety of readers will appreciate Jahner’s family and experiences. There was nothing that I disliked about the book.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy reading memoirs and who have a sense of humor. The author finds the humorous side of life’s challenges. He also conveys to the reader his strong feelings about family and friendship. This will appeal to a variety of readers. I saw errors in the book, so I do not believe it was professionally edited. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I would not rate the book any lower because it was entertaining and provided a wealth of information about the author’s life. I would not give the book a perfect rating because there were errors.

Never Do Anything Just Right
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jenni Schmitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenni-schmitt.html
Latest Review: Nowhere to Hide by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jenni Schmitt »

I love the title! I am not usually big on memoirs, but your review inspires my interest.
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

I'd like to see the choices that Jahner's sons made while selecting women if I have the opportunity to dive into this memoir.
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

Memoirs with humor is a superb combination. If you can laugh on your life choices while learning from them, it only makes you go to greater heights.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

Jahner's life looks interesting from the choice of words in this review. His life is full of adventures and I love memoirs. Choices are a big part of live and I'd love to dive into this great read.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I like to try humorous memoirs because I haven't tried it before. Mostly, it was heart-wrenching but this book sounds fun. I think I'll enjoy Jahner's family history and how he narrates it. Your review is incredible, Theresa!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”