Review of 21 & Counting

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Review of 21 & Counting

Post by Avishi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "21 & Counting" by J. L. Emmerson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

J.L. Emmerson's 21 & Counting is a short book that covers the story of the author's life and emotional issues as a result of the physical assaults she has endured throughout her life. What will you do if someone tells you that you will not live past the age of 21 and that you are unable to engage in normal life? How will you deal with such misfortune? The story begins with the doctor's stunning announcement that she has schizophrenia and will not be able to live past the age of 21 or live a normal life. What exactly is schizophrenia? What kind of mental struggles has she had? How did she deal with it all? Was she able to live past the age of 21? You should read this story to learn more about her life.

I applaud the author's resilience in the face of adversity. While many individuals find it difficult to reveal their traumas or abuse, the author honestly tells her every all-up and down and its aftereffects to set an example for the readers and other people who have suffered from traumas to begin their journey again. She is a courageous woman who strives through the thorns of life. Even though her mother, father, and sibling did not trust her and considered her a socially inept person, she persevered in the face of adversity. I adore the author's character development from self-doubt to self-assurance. I respect how she transitioned from a suicidal thinker to a person who wants to live. She may not be flawless in every way, but she has learned to be content with the flaws that surround her. She wrote letters to her parents, friends, and husband in between the book. It was appealing to read since she simply expressed how she felt about them. Whether it was to ask her parents why they never believed in her or to tell them about her experiences during those times, it was admirable since she didn't bother to express her dissatisfaction with their parents' apathetic treatment of her. I also applaud the author for forewarning the readers about the sensitive topics contained in this book.

The author's life was openly written about in terms of content. However, I discovered one spelling and a few punctuation mistakes. Better proofreading should be reconsidered by the author. For sensitive readers, the book will be painful to read because it deals with child abuse and other tragic occurrences.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. Her narrative was inspiring, but there were a few editing mistakes that made it difficult to read. It lessens the book's attraction to the reader. That is why I have deducted one star. Aside from that, I admire the author's candor and bravery in sharing her tragic yet inspiring narrative with us. As a result, I did not reduce any more stars.

I only recommend this book to adults because it contains complicated psychological aspects. The readers will be moved to tears and enraged by the sensitive issue of terrible events in the author's life. As a result, it is not recommended for youngsters to read. Those who have experienced verbal or sexual abuse, as well as psychological issues as a result of it, should think about their situation before reading. It may reawaken your worries. Those who are okay with it may read this to obtain the strength to overcome their fears.

21 & Counting
View: on Bookshelves
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

The book seems to be an emotional roller coaster. Misfortunes are being hit one by one and how the the author shows resilience is the part I am excited to read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”