Review of Dog Training for the Single Mom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of Dog Training for the Single Mom

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dog Training for the Single Mom" by Christopher Neal Martin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

If you are a single mom, just got yourself an amazing puppy, or just want to start a career as a dog trainer, I recommend you pick up Dog Training for the Single Mom, written by Chris Martin. The book is a product of the author's experiences as a dog owner and as a career dog trainer.

The discourse begins with a brief note on why one should consider training their dog, moves to different training methods, offers incentive measures (rewards and treats) to encourage and sustain improvements recorded, highlights possible challenges to expect in the process, offers solutions to them, and provides miscellaneous tips to guide the readers through complex situations.

Chris presented the readers with concise, actionable information, and this impressed me the most. Each chapter is carefully divided into sections that address a specific approach or issue. For example, chapter one is divided into "Introduction to Dog Training" and runs through other related guides, culminating in "Setting Goals for Your Dog's Training." I cherished the experience of being presented with a project and learning how to get it done quickly and efficiently.

The book is punctuated with beautiful, yes, amazingly beautiful, illustrations of a dog owner demonstrating the guides being discussed. I felt like I was in a one-on-one session with the author. He presented the guides as simply and effectively as possible. I appreciated that he was generous enough to even discuss the similarities between training kids and dogs, emphasising over and over again the need to be consistent, patient, and intentional in rewarding the dogs when they get things right.

Readers are offered both basic and advanced dog training guides. They are introduced to how to train dogs for such basic commands as sitting and advanced skills like scent detection. It was a pleasure to go through those processes. There are tips on managing the dog's health and involving the assistance of friends and professionals. What more? This is a well-edited book. I found just three minor errors in it.

I am delighted to rate this book five out of five stars because I found the guides offered in it informative, feasible, and easy to follow. Again, this book changed my perception of dogs. I was amazed to discover how wonderful companions and assistants they can be, and I think I should be friendlier with them. So, if you see me bringing a dog home, hold Chris accountable! I don't have anything to complain about in this book. I suppose the repetition of the discourse on patience, consistency, treats, and rewards is for emphasis. So, there is no reason to rate this book lower.

Dog Training for the Single Mom
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”