Review of But I Can Learn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Review of But I Can Learn

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "But I Can Learn" by Clair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

But I Can Learn is an open memoir about a woman who has had a difficult life. Her desperation to be an adult of her own led her to marry a dishonest husband after she was abused as a child at the hands of her own father. She now finds solace in a syringe of heroin, despite having three small children and no job to support them. Can an addict truly recover from addiction and return to normalcy, even if just for the sake of her children?

At a young age, the author of this novel was exposed to the harsh realities of life. She wasn't always positive, and I liked learning about her hesitations. This was most noticeable during her first marriage to Smitty, a habitual liar. Smitty finally departed for good, and she found a means to care for her children. I appreciate how she ultimately recognized that she was all alone and that she needed to pull herself together for the sake of her children. She was successful for a time, but her heroin addiction caused her to lose everything.

This story was intriguing, even though some details were missing because the author probably couldn't recall everything exactly as it happened. The narrative was fascinating, from the difficulty of finding work to take care of the kids to living on the streets as a drug addict, going to rehab, and experiencing withdrawal and relapse. I liked how she would encourage herself and declare, "I'm the boss of me," in an effort to come across as clever and in control. I waited for the day when she would finally decide to make a positive change since she kept relapsing. Ultimately, she made that decision on her own—rehabilitation and Christian revival could only help achieve that. In my opinion, that is the book's main message because, in the end, we can only count on ourselves.

Other than the numerous errors I discovered, I have no criticisms of this book; therefore, I give it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed every bit of the story, and I believe it got the main message across clearly. This would be an excellent source of motivation for anyone looking to break a bad habit. It will not be easy, but there is a silver lining: it is possible.

But I Can Learn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

I have a bad habit I'm looking to break. Maybe this book can help me on that journey. I'll check it out.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for your insightful and honest review Your description of the book seems to highlight that it is a story of family, the hardships that life can bring, and the possibility of changing for the better. I appreciated how you mentioned that the author's decision to recover on her own was an essential aspect of the book, and her positive attitude resonated with you. Your focus on the book's main message was helpful, and your recommendation makes me feel enthusiastic about reading this book. I appreciate your detailed review and look forward to reading more of your work.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

Thank you for your review. It sounds like a book worth reading. The importance of us being in charge of our own destiny and not expecting others to rescue us is a topic we all should learn from an early age. Adding addiction to her challenges makes things so much harder. I am looking forward to reading this book.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Post by Mayang Bature »

Paul Link wrote: 24 May 2023, 11:35 Thank you for your insightful and honest review Your description of the book seems to highlight that it is a story of family, the hardships that life can bring, and the possibility of changing for the better. I appreciated how you mentioned that the author's decision to recover on her own was an essential aspect of the book, and her positive attitude resonated with you. Your focus on the book's main message was helpful, and your recommendation makes me feel enthusiastic about reading this book. I appreciate your detailed review and look forward to reading more of your work.
Thank you for your kind words @Paul Link. As you follow the author through her journey, you will see that there is always a chance for those who have made mistakes to correct them. The book talks about imperfection and how we shouldn't allow it hinder us from our purpose. This author brings a crucial message to take home and I appreciate her for that.
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”