Review of A layman's challenge to the rapture theory

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of A layman's challenge to the rapture theory

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A layman's challenge to the rapture theory" by Peter Bellone.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

If you have ever questioned the theory of rapture preached by mainstream Christians or are struggling to understand it, then A Layman's Challenge to the Rapture Theory by Peter Bellone is a book you may enjoy reading. In this book, Peter, a practicing non-mainstream Christian, challenges common theories and well-known facts about the idea of the rapture, such as the chaotic and perceived discriminatory aspects preached by mainstream Christian priests and members. The author also interrogates theories by profound individuals to either agree or disagree with them, using biblical references and logic.

The author has done an excellent job in researching the topic, and I must commend that. While reading, I couldn't help but notice the enormous amount of Bible quotations used to back up the author's theories. I liked this approach as it gave me the zeal to read further, knowing that the ideas were not mere thoughts but were researched. The author also breaks down theories at different points and explains the various scriptures quoted to the understanding of the readers, which was executed correctly in some instances.

However, the book was more lengthy than I felt it was supposed to be, as many chapters were too similar, and most of the things talked about could have been covered briefly. Even though there were some extensive engagements eventually in the new but similar chapters, merging those chapters would have reduced the frustration induced by reading similar chapters.

Although the title of the book suggests it is entirely about the theory of rapture, the author occasionally, albeit briefly, talks about other aspects of the scriptures and Christianity, which I did not think were relevant. Additionally, the book was not appropriately formatted, as some of the words from quoted scriptures were scattered, making it difficult for me to read.

In light of the stated negatives, but also considering the positive aspects stated, I would rate this book three out of five stars. I found no errors in this book; it was perfectly edited. I recommend this book to people who are in search of logic interrogating the present concept of rapture and those who enjoy books that interrogate concepts, especially religious concepts. Because of the biblical messages in this book, I believe it is most suitable for Christian readers.

A layman's challenge to the rapture theory
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

However, I can see how the length of the book could affect the reader's experience, especially if the chapters are too similar in content. Nevertheless, I appreciate your insight that the author did go into further engagement in new chapters, which is a positive takeaway. I also understand where you're coming from when you mentioned that the author discussed other aspects of Christianity that may have seemed slightly irrelevant.
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Hillary’s Kitchen Dietary Feeds for Dietary Needs by Hillary Teske

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

This is such and elaborate and insightful review from you. Your comments on the book are most certainly valid. Thanks for the review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”