Review of Positive Influence

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Positive Influence

Post by Jane Ogwang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Positive Influence" by Brian Smith & Mary Griffin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Significant events throughout history have been pushed and made possible by leaders who had one thing in common, influence. It has always been an influence that goes beyond just lip service. Behaviors, mindset, and effective actions accompany it. Given this fact, it is prudent for leaders to understand the nitty-gritty of leadership and influence. This book, Positive Influence by Brian Smith and Mary Griffin, explores this field in detail and conclusively.

The book is the second installment of the "I" in Team Series. It continues the authors' quest to explore the power of influence and leadership on individuals and teams. The authors reiterate that we all hold positions of responsibility and leadership at different levels, from family, groups, and even in the corporate setting. They start by laying the foundation for influence and its components. Here, they discuss communication, composure, accountability, and values. The book then expounds more on what responsibility means and entails before discussing the pitfalls of influence. Here, an in-depth analysis is done on what hinders leaders and individuals from positively impacting others. Discussions on change, self-education, and diversity then quickly follow. After every sub-title, a 'key takeaways' section is included to summarize and note essential points from the topics. The authors also incorporate stories from their personal experiences to put their points across.

Brain and Mary's skillful narration of their stories and personal experiences made this book quite a joy to read. Concepts that would have otherwise been difficult to grasp were easier and more relatable. I also have to say that the work experience and expertise that these two authors have had made the book even more authentic. It was refreshing to know that they were not addressing the issues from a theoretical point of view. Their ability to weave these experiences with insightful lessons and reflections was also a plus and a great strength of the book.

I also liked that the book can be read as a standalone. The author occasionally revisited and discussed topics from the first book. This made the content more comprehensive and accommodative. This book has greatly shifted my approach and mindset toward leadership and influence. I'm now working on being more mindful of my actions, thoughts, and reactions. It's ongoing work to channel them to a path leading to my personal growth, success, and fulfillment. The simple language also makes the book easy to comprehend and accessible to everyone. The only negative about the book was its length; I would have preferred more concise writing. I, however, acknowledge the authors' need to provide an in-depth and comprehensive analysis of the topic and will not factor it into my rating.

I, therefore, give the book a perfect rating of five out of five stars. It is well-written and professionally edited. Anyone wishing to increase their influence and positively impact their teams, families, communities, and beyond will definitely enjoy reading this book.

Positive Influence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

I am a big advocate of training your brain to work in your favour by showing it what you want it to think of through your actions. And I feel like this book rightly touches that topic. Thanks for the review.
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

Real life experiences are the best teachers. The authors brought this to bare, and I am willing to learn from their wealth of experience. Beautiful review.
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

This is book for leader on company. Menager must have a goog influence of leadership skills. This book 📚 teaching lead of company how communication, growing up in teams and put right values. Positive influence is a strong leadership one menager why lead a team, and say everyone how usually mestake make menager when deciding about plann and goal of teams on company. I recommend this book menager and director why faund positive influence and growth of company.
FictionRome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionrome.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by FictionRome »

Reading your well-written review makes me want to read the book. Everyone should know that leadership takes a great responsibility. Thanks for the review!
FictionRome
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionRome »

Reading your well-written review makes me want to read the book. Everyone should know that leadership takes a great responsibility. Thanks for the review!
FictionRome
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionRome »

Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

How to influence people has always been a skill I wish to master. I will read "Positive Influence" by Brian Smith & Mary Griffin, to know the author's opinion on how to influence people.
Dana Coleman

Post by Dana Coleman »

Your book brings light into life with also showing emotion, you well wrote your words and at the same time took time to keep it slow but still on beat, I felt I was pulled into in the middle and I didnt have to read so much to get to the good parts
Geeta Gunputh 1
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement

Post by Geeta Gunputh 1 »

Leadership begins with our way of perceiving things around us, going through the ups and downs, always learning from our experiences and observations. We grow every day, as learning never ends. This helps with effective problem-solving and decision-making skills. Great review. 
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Okocha Victor »

We really are at the mercy of people with influence. I mean, whatever notion they decide to push forward, that is what we'll be subjected to, irrespective of the outcomes of that action. But what can be done?
Mohamed Guermah

Post by Mohamed Guermah »

Your expertly crafted review has sparked within me a desire to delve into the pages of the book. It is crucial for all individuals to recognize that leadership carries an immense weight of responsibility. I am grateful for your insightful review!
Ishant Mehta

Post by Ishant Mehta »

One notable strength of the book is its practicality.Whether it's in personal relationships, professional environments, or societal settings, the book offers valuable insights and advice that readers can readily apply.

Structure: The book follows a logical and organized structure, allowing readers to navigate the content effortlessly.Smith begins by defining positive influence and its significance, then proceeds to explore different aspects such as effective communication, building trust, and fostering collaboration.

The author's use of subheadings, bullet points, and summary sections within each chapter enhances the book's readability and comprehension. These elements help readers grasp key takeaways and reinforce important concepts, ensuring that the information is easily digestible and memorable.

Impact: "Positive Influence" has the potential to profoundly impact readers' lives, both personally and professionally. By emphasizing the power of positive influence, the book encourages individuals to adopt a proactive and constructive approach in their interactions with others. The practical strategies offered enable readers to develop stronger relationships, enhance their leadership skills, and contribute positively to their communities.
Ifeoma Ogbodo

Post by Ifeoma Ogbodo »

The ability to influence people and convince them to share your views, values and perspectives confers great power and with it, equal responsibility. As such, a book like this becomes a vital read. Your review makes one eager to get to it. Thank you for doing a great job.
Missy Jane Barnal

Post by Missy Jane Barnal »

The book covers a wide range of topics related to influence and leadership, starting with the foundational components such as communication, composure, accountability, and values. It then moves on to explore the meaning and implications of responsibility, while also addressing the common pitfalls that hinder positive impact. Furthermore, the authors delve into important subjects like change, self-education, and diversity, offering valuable perspectives for personal and professional growth.
The language used throughout the book is straightforward and easy to comprehend, making it accessible to a wide range of readers. The authors strike a balance between depth and simplicity, ensuring that even those less familiar with leadership concepts can grasp the content.
One minor drawback is the length of the book, which some readers may find lengthy. However, considering the authors' aim to provide an in-depth analysis and comprehensive coverage of the topic, this aspect can be seen as a necessary trade-off.
Overall, Positive Influence receives a perfect rating of five out of five stars. The book is well-written, professionally edited, and offers invaluable insights for individuals looking to enhance their influence and positively impact their teams, families, communities, and beyond. Brian Smith and Mary Griffin's expertise and storytelling abilities make this book an enjoyable and transformative read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”