Review of Deciphering Autism

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review of Deciphering Autism

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deciphering Autism" by Robert Michael DePaolo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The present month, May, is mental health awareness month: an apt time to raise the profile of psychiatric disorders. One expression that may be used too casually by lay people, perhaps even for self-diagnosis, is "on the spectrum".

They mean the autism spectrum, of course. The non-fiction work Deciphering Autism by Robert Michael DePaolo takes a comprehensive look at the condition, attaching weight to core characteristics. Though accepting that there is variation among autistic persons, the author argues that a definition so broad as to include near-normal (high functioning) individuals makes research into the causes of autism more difficult. With a focus on individuals with measurable language deficits and apparent social detachment, he explores how differences in the structure and function of autistic brains might produce those symptoms.

Noting that different parts of the brain act in concert, DePaolo posits that more linear processing and poor orchestration in an autistic brain may be at the root of language and other difficulties. Such processing may drain a lot of energy, and the resulting fatigue may underlie autistic persons' reluctance to engage socially. With experience both as a parent of autistic children and as the director of neurobehavioural units, DePaolo is an expert in this field.

I therefore appreciated how well-informed his ideas were. Taking stock of both classic and newer research and adding some innovative perspectives of his own, he set out approaches to autism. He shed light on mistakes to avoid when educating autistic individuals. He also speculated on the causes of autism and suggested yet unexplored avenues of enquiry. His discussions were far-reaching, encompassing many areas of child development, behaviourism, neurology, biology and physics, and even the order of the universe. The writing included specialized terms and sometimes became abstract. Although the author tempered this with everyday examples, the scientific arguments needed close concentration. Some diagrams both to break up the text and illustrate various mechanisms would have been helpful. Since many chapters discussed and developed theories, dividing the text into sections with sub-headings would have provided orientation.

The lack of diagrams and sub-headings did not present a severe problem, as the writing was clear overall. However, perhaps because of a conversion process, the PDF text I read contained frequent errors such as missing words and punctuation. These were distracting at times, and in that connection I rate this book four out of five stars.

I wouldn't rate it any lower because this work represents a fascinating and scholarly contribution to the body of knowledge about autism. It is also practical because DePaolo uses his understanding of autistic mental processes to provide tips on how to support individuals. It was inspiring to read about an approach rooted in empathy. For example, having explained the pitfalls of a dentist's visit, he suggests a way to make it bearable. On the theoretical side, he argues his points cogently and includes full references. The bibliography provides further reading on the fascinating subjects of brain function and behaviour.

With more of a focus on scientific explanations like those afforded by this book, we can hope for a better understanding of disorders like autism, including exciting pointers for further research, in mental health awareness month and beyond.

Deciphering Autism
View: on Bookshelves
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I am glad the information presented about autism was well-researched and helpful. Knowing a few people with autism, I am anxious to learn more. Your review is insightful and a pleasure to read.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

Readers who want to learn a lot about autism will have a swell time reading this book. I love the review. Great job.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Meghan Soderholm wrote: 24 May 2023, 10:05 I am glad the information presented about autism was well-researched and helpful. Knowing a few people with autism, I am anxious to learn more. Your review is insightful and a pleasure to read.
It was so fascinating, and despite being novel, it did make sense! It seems the tips really work, too.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Bright U wrote: 24 May 2023, 10:20 Readers who want to learn a lot about autism will have a swell time reading this book. I love the review. Great job.
It is very informative. Thanks for your comment!
Mod
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Alice in Scotland wrote: 24 May 2023, 11:15
Meghan Soderholm wrote: 24 May 2023, 10:05 I am glad the information presented about autism was well-researched and helpful. Knowing a few people with autism, I am anxious to learn more. Your review is insightful and a pleasure to read.
It was so fascinating, and despite being novel, it did make sense! It seems the tips really work, too.
I am looking forward to reading the book and expanding my knowledge.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

I enjoy a well-researched book with scientific and real-life practicability. The review is detailed enough to know what to and not expect.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

NicRoy wrote: 25 May 2023, 05:15 I enjoy a well-researched book with scientific and real-life practicability. The review is detailed enough to know what to and not expect.
It covered a lot of ground for a short book. Thank you for your kind comment!
Mod
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

It sounds like a book worth reading. The topic of autism is prevalent in today's society so I am interested to learn more about it. How our brains work differently from each other is fascinating and helps us understand each other.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Kelly Tunstall wrote: 27 May 2023, 02:50 It sounds like a book worth reading. The topic of autism is prevalent in today's society so I am interested to learn more about it. How our brains work differently from each other is fascinating and helps us understand each other.
Yes, it was quite groundbreaking in its way. Thank you for your kind comment!
Mod
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Autism is subject that needs in-depth research to help come up with better solutions. The author must have spent a lot of time contemplating and digging into this topic. Your review was very informative :)
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

ViviVivid wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 09:08 Autism is subject that needs in-depth research to help come up with better solutions. The author must have spent a lot of time contemplating and digging into this topic. Your review was very informative :)
Yes, the author has a lot of expertise. Thank you for your kind comment!
Mod

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”