Review of Nursing the Nurse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Review of Nursing the Nurse

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nursing the Nurse" by Jeanelle Classen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The nonfiction book Nursing the Nurse by Jeanelle Classen provides a comprehensive 6-step framework for how to prevent and treat nurse burnout. This book contains many tried-and-true strategies for coping with nurse burnout, something that I imagine occurs frequently and needs to be addressed beforehand to help with both personal and professional life.

The author spent a great deal of time and energy perfecting the information in this book in an effort to help nurses avoid burnout. The book is written in a casual tone that makes it easy to digest the ideas presented by the author. She also recommends that the reader put the advice she gives into practise gradually rather than all at once. The author also includes feedback from satisfied clients whose lives were enhanced after following her recommendations.

I've always been curious about the challenges faced by nurses, but I have zero experience in the field. When I had too many things going on at once, I wondered if there was anything in this book that could help me. I think a lot of people felt like they'd lost their enthusiasm for their jobs, just like they had for other things they once enjoyed. If you feel like this is happening to you, this book may help you rediscover your motivation by guiding you through a process of reflection and action designed to prevent burnout.

The nurse's wheel of life is an excellent tool used by the author, and I wholeheartedly endorse it. The author even provided a self-evaluation task based on the nurses' wheel of life! The book got off to a great start, which I appreciated. It's important to plan ahead and get yourself in the right frame of mind before diving into a book like this, and I believe this will help the readers get ready for what she's about to explain in the book. I appreciate that the author offers advice on how to relax properly without letting your stress show to those closest to you. She also emphasises the value of self-care and leisure activities in coping with pressure. I thought the exercises she provided were fantastic, and I agree that the benefits go far beyond the realm of nursing. The section titled "Our Rules" in this book taught me a valuable lesson among many others.

This isn't something I found problematic, but it bears mentioning nonetheless. The amount of detail presented in this book may seem daunting, but the procedures outlined here are crucial, in my opinion. It's clear that this book can help anyone in any circumstance, but the author makes it clear that nurses are the intended audience. There was nothing else about this book that I didn't like.

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars because nurses play a crucial role in healthcare, and I appreciate the author's encouragement to prioritise their own self-care to prevent burnout. I enjoyed every aspect of this book and found that it held my interest more and more as I read it. Despite my finding an error, I think it has been professionally edited.

Any nurse who is experiencing or on the verge of experiencing burnout should read this book. Although it's clear that the intended audience is nurses, I think many of the suggestions in this book are applicable to anyone who's feeling burned out. For the purposes of this book's exercises, I also suggest having a notebook on hand.

Nursing the Nurse
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”