Review of You Don't Fall Out of the Universe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Review of You Don't Fall Out of the Universe

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Don't Fall Out of the Universe" by B. J. Jewett.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It doesn't get more emotional than You Don't Fall Out of the Universe, a heartbreaking and moving memoir by B. J. Jewett. The book takes us through one of the most difficult things a parent can experience: the loss of their child. In this case, the author chronicles the events around the loss of her thirty-one-year-old son, Jesse, to cancer. Her healing journey toward surviving his death is also detailed. The book is divided into different parts covering before Jesse's death, after his death, the author's healing process, and present-day experiences that bring Jesse to mind. Each part is beautifully written and offers a unique perspective on the experience of grief.

Before Jesse's death, Jewett's writing portrays the pain, suffering, and helplessness that her family endured during his illness. Jewett employs a poetic writing style to not just express her feelings but also paint a picture of how Jesse reacted to the threat to his life, and it is through this medium that his courage, determination, and resilience shine forth.

After Jesse's death, Jewett's writing shifts into a kind of reflective mode, narrating the way she tries to move forward in the wake of her son's passing. Here, the author expresses the depth of her grief in a way that is raw and unfiltered. Jewett opens up about how she coped with loss, including how Jesse's presence manifests in different ways in her life, providing a sense of comfort. The book also expresses a more nuanced take on grief and how it can be unpredictable and complex. One particular aspect I could relate to was how painful it was when people tried to insert their beliefs into the author's grief. "It's God's plan" or "God needs him in heaven" are some of the things people can say to trigger this. However, the author also provided some perspective, noting that nothing prepares people to console a grieving mother, and they are just trying to help in any way they can.

Another significant strength of You Don't Fall Out of the Universe is Jewett's incredible ability to express her feelings through detailed and profound poetry. She draws the reader into the rawness and pain of her loss, as well as the beauty of her healing journey. These poetic segments break up the narrative and provide the book with an added layer of depth and richness. The poem, Gifts, perfectly illustrates this, highlighting how Jesse's presence, even after death, lightened the burden she bore.

Jesse's bravery, kindness, and zest for life are evident in different parts of the book, as the author notes how much he impacted not just his family but also his community. Despite his suffering and challenges, Jesse remained kind, generous, and empathetic, wanting to live life on his own terms. He accepted his condition and, in some ways, grew more positive as his situation worsened. His mother celebrates his life with the same spirit, detailing the love and significance of their relationship. It is this pure, intense love for her son and his love for life that makes the book's narrative inspiring.

Underneath the grief and emotion, You Don't Fall Out of the Universe is a book about resilience, the power of love, and the healing journey. This memoir will resonate with anyone who has experienced significant losses in life, and I will recommend it to them. It's a heart-wrenching book, but its powerful message of hope and healing makes it one of the most inspiring memoirs out there. I cannot think of any aspect of this exceptionally edited book that I dislike. Therefore, I rate this book five out of five stars.

You Don't Fall Out of the Universe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for such a thoughtful and insightful review. Your review perfectly captures the essence of the book and its themes of grief, loss, and resilience. I appreciate the way you have highlighted the author's beautiful writing style and her ability to convey her emotions through poetry. Your relatable commentary on how people try to console a grieving mother and often fall short is a testament to the author's honesty and vulnerability. Your recommendation of this book to those who have experienced loss is much appreciated, and I couldn't agree more with your generous rating of five out of five stars. Thank you again for your excellent review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

He accepted his condition and, in some ways, grew more positive as his situation worsened.
This is touching. In most cases, when the situation worsens, people can't appreciate anything anymore, but it was the opposite for Jesse, and that's how he shines. I am inspired by this memoir. Your review is incredible, Youngreader!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”