Review of Evolution of Faith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Review of Evolution of Faith

Post by Friederic Schröder »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Evolution of Faith" by Philip S. Radcliffe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what faith was like for those living in the past? How did Christianity itself become what it is today? What is the true history of our Christian faith? Philip S. Radcliffe's novel, Evolution of Faith, provides the reader with information regarding that.

The early chapters of this novel speak about different ages of man's evolution, from the homo australopithecus Afarensis, who lived about 3.6 million years ago, to the homo sapiens. The author regarded mankind as hunter-gatherers in the past, who lived in a small social band and followed familiar territories to hunt and live. It stated that the era of faith began in the age of agricultural evolution, when mankind depended on the supernatural to protect their crops and bless their farm land. It was believed that animism was practiced in the early ages before various beliefs were formed as the ages went by. The author narrates this novel by dividing it into different ages: the hunter-gatherer age, the agricultural evolution, the stone age, the iron age, the age of enlightenment, the atomic age, and the information age. All in all, the author did not fail to make reference to the subject matter, which is the evolution of faith. He dives deep into the atomic age and the information, consequences, and shift of faith in the course of democracy and scientific advancement.

This novel is equipped with facts and notable history for every word laid down; it compares science and religious faith in respect of merging them together, and I find this fact exciting and interesting. I also got some history lessons on Christianity and its evolution. I got to understand that Constantine in Rome is notable when talking about Christianity and its spread across Greece and Rome. The story of Abraham's journey to Canaan is narrated clearly and thoroughly. I also hear of a man named Terah who led the Abraham's household, but after the death of Terah in Harran, the Abraham saga fully emerged. The most appealing fact to me in the novel is the history lesson I got. I find this novel not just interesting but quite educational.

At some point in the novel, I was a bit confused. I would have to go through the passage over and over again until I could grasp an understanding of what it talks about before I could proceed to another chapter, and this is one of the things that slowed down my reading process. I wouldn't say I found anything dislikable about this novel because every chapter had something exciting and educational to talk about, and I genuinely find that appealing.

I would genuinely and wholeheartedly give this novel a rating of 5 out of 5 stars for the author's creative ideas and narrative style. It's a superb novel and deserves the rating bestowed upon it. I couldn't find a single grammatical error, and it was completely error-free, which is something good to write about. I would remark that this novel has been exceptionally well edited.

I would recommend this novel to readers who enjoy reading about history and mankind's evolution. I would specifically recommend this novel to Christians, as they would find this piece of knowledge interesting and educational. I believe that as much as I enjoyed it, they would too, and it would widen their scope of understanding faith's evolution.

Evolution of Faith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”