Review of Crossing The Swamp

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Crossing The Swamp

Post by Proof Readar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crossing The Swamp" by John Shen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

John Shen, originally from Beijing, China, possesses a remarkable entrepreneurial journey that transcends borders. Despite his birthplace, he has successfully established multiple thriving companies in the United States. Shen coined the term "parallel entrepreneur" to describe his unique approach of owning and managing more than two companies simultaneously. He serves as the CEO of American Lending Center (ALC) and the chairman of the board for his various enterprises, including Sunstone Trust Company, Sunstone Management, Partake Collectives, and Heritage Resort located in Walla Walla, Washington, spanning an impressive 360 acres of undeveloped land. Several of his ventures, such as ALC and Sunstone Management, have received prestigious recognition, being listed among the "America's Fastest Growing Companies" by the Financial Times consecutively in 2021, 2022, and 2023.

Demonstrating his commitment to sharing knowledge and empowering aspiring entrepreneurs, John Shen has authored a book titled "Crossing the Swamp." This memoir unveils his early life experiences as an immigrant in the United States and chronicles his remarkable transformation into a celebrated entrepreneur. Within the book, he elucidates the principles and secrets behind his achievements, providing invaluable advice that makes entrepreneurship, including the role of a parallel entrepreneur, more attainable.

This book encompasses a multitude of valuable lessons in the realm of business. It serves as both a source of motivation and entrepreneurial awareness by presenting the life of a successful innovator and his journey to success, which includes both his mistakes and strategic moves. Its primary objective is to educate aspiring entrepreneurs on learning from the author's mistakes, avoiding potential pitfalls that nearly cost him his life, and adopting the wise choices that ultimately shaped him into a capable leader, despite his unconventional path of acquiring leadership skills through hands-on experiences rather than formal education.

One significant takeaway from this book is the transformative impact of mindset. By delving into its pages, readers are exposed to what the author refers to as "the eight entrepreneurial skills" and gain technical knowledge in business. This equips them with the ability to differentiate between a parallel entrepreneur and other types of entrepreneurs, such as solo or serial entrepreneurs. The book empowers individuals to develop the confidence to take on challenging roles, embrace risk-taking, cultivate resilience, foster a positive mindset following failures, strike a balance between work and personal life, study financial literacy, nurture sustainable leadership skills, and explore numerous other vital topics. Additionally, the author shares various training programs he has developed to assist startups in building confidence and achieving success.

Personally, I consider myself fortunate to have come across this book. Through it, I gained insights into the author's life, which enabled me to learn from his experiences and bolster my confidence to surpass my limitations, dream big, and pursue any business innovation I may conceive. I particularly appreciate the visually appealing design elements, where symbolic pictures represent key concepts, making the reading experience not only informative but also aesthetically pleasing and enjoyable.

In summary, there is nothing I found displeasing about this book. It has undergone professional editing, employs a gentle tone, and utilizes a simple sentence structure. This gentle tone facilitates comprehension and allows readers to breeze through the over 300 pages in a shorter time frame. Hence, I'd rate the book 5 out of 5 stars.

I highly recommend this book to new startups in the business world. Additionally, established leaders, company managers, and CEOs can benefit from adopting the author's leadership culture, helping them transition from leadership styles that may have led to personal and organizational challenges.

Crossing The Swamp
View: on Bookshelves
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Heart and Harmony: Poetic Reflections on Legendary Singers by Archie Luper

Post by Obc Contentor »

This book seems to have the potential to motivate readers to invest in themselves and take the bull by the horn to live about their limit to becoming a successful entrepreneur. I'm just coming by the term parallel entrepreneur and I will like to see the author's analysis about it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”