Review of Sub Tales - Stories That Seldom Surface

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Review of Sub Tales - Stories That Seldom Surface

Post by Arrow Shot »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sub Tales - Stories That Seldom Surface" by Charles Hood/Frank Hood.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sub Tales: Stories That Seldom Surface by Charles Hood and Frank Hood gives details about the U.S. submarine force, its technological advancements, and the accomplishments of the U.S. Navy in submarine operations. It brings readers true stories from the 1900s about historical characters and their achievements.

It's the 1900s; there was no shortage of life-changing events: World War I and II, the Cold War, space travel, and the fine details of many firsts for the U.S. submarine. The Momsen Lung, Submarine Rescue Bell, and USS Albacore were all invented by Charles Momsen. The USS Albacore was launched in 1953; it was the first ship to use the new HY-80 steel. There was also the USS Seadragon, commissioned in 1959, and the USS Benjamin Franklin, launched in 1964.

Through all of these, there were visible developments, more details were added, and more new inventions were introduced. Mistakes were observed, like that of the trial of the USS Thresher on April 10, 1963, which cost the lives of Wes Harvey and one hundred and twenty-nine men. This caused safety and emergency contingencies for future submarine operations to be applied. The advancements were progressive. The USS Halibut was the first submarine to endure the power of a nuclear-powered propulsion plant with the offensive capabilities of guided missiles. Mentions of great people in history, pictorial evidence, and information on the attitude of naval officers would be a lot of help to people in need of information. To find out more, get a copy of Sub Tales: Stories That Seldom Surface by Charles Hood and Frank Hood.

Charles Hood and Frank Hood pieced together true historical facts, some of which were unknown to the public until now. I love that this book creates more insights into the background of well-known names, their personal lives, and clearer information on the intricacies of their popular achievements, survival stories, heroics, and admirable perseverance. Life-changing historical events are presented with fine details, unpopular perspectives, dates, and times.

Among other things, this book provides knowledge on life in and after the force, pointing out traits accumulated over time that affect one's civil life, both positive and negative. Other confusing details, like the 1946 Cold War submariners' mode of payment, are brought to light. There were accounts of losses, impressive stories of survival and escape, and popular events that caused massive stirs. I so much love how detailed the authors were in making sure that event was brought to light.

The importance of submarines in the Arctic region and their roles in the U.S. Post Office were made obvious. Overall, the U.S. submarine force played an important role in the development of the country. I also love that pictures of heroes, sung and unsung, are attached to bring faces to the characters, places, and objects talked about. Records of conversations and interviews with characters were also imputed.

The wealth of facts and information present in this book makes it suitable for prospective submariners and history lovers; hence, I recommend it to them. I encountered no errors in this book, which shows that it was exceptionally well-edited. I gladly rate it 5 out of 5 stars since I disliked nothing about the book.

Sub Tales - Stories That Seldom Surface
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”