Review of Seven Papers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Seven Papers

Post by Jane Ogwang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seven Papers" by Dan M. Mrejeru.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I have read and reviewed another book by author Dan M. Mrejeru, and I enjoy his fascination and dedication to the science of biology, genetics, evolution, and, dominantly, brain development. His analysis of historical facts and predictions of the future are always intriguing and exciting to read about. He did not disappoint with this latest book, Seven Papers.

The book is a collection of seven of the author's articles posted to academic.edu between 2020 and 2021. The articles explore different aspects of human evolution and history. The first paper examines the prehistoric C14 isotope and its impact or relationship with extinction. The author draws the relationship between its concentration, its consequences on the Earth's ecosystem, and the extinction of various species. He then explores the impact the C14 isotope has on neurogenesis, narrowing it down to the relationship between neurobiology and cognitive abilities. Dan further delves into anatomy, lateralization, and the fascinating link between language, intelligence, brain development, and cognitive prowess. The book finally addresses the challenges for homo sapiens during migration and the neural challenges of the gaming brain.

As I've previously mentioned, the author's expertise and dedication to the subject matter were evident throughout the book. He confidently presented compelling arguments and illuminated intricate details of the topics. I was particularly enthralled by the papers that discussed language and brain lateralization. I enjoyed the theories and insights he discussed regarding how human communication has been shaped over the years.

I liked the author's writing style. He occasionally asked rhetorical questions that would form the bases for most of the discussions that followed. Even though the subject was complex, he often aimed to explain them in the most straightforward of languages. Writing sections he held some importance on in bold was also thoughtful.

However, I sometimes felt overwhelmed when reading the book. The information, at times, was too bulky and difficult to follow. Also, bar the occasional rhetorical questions, the book felt too academic, and the explanations too flat. I understand the book is scholarly, but flexibility and balance would have broadened the audience.

Overall, I give the book a rating of four out of five stars. It is insightful, well-written, and exceptionally well-edited. I deducted one star for the negatives listed in the previous chapter. Enthusiasts of prehistoric events, neurogenesis, evolution, language, and brain development will definitely enjoy reading this book.

Seven Papers
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”