Review of Passionately Moderate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Review of Passionately Moderate

Post by Triciat50 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Passionately Moderate" by Holley Ulbrich.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Holley Hewitt Ulbrich was a professor of economics at Clemson University for thirty years. After retiring, she obtained a master’s degree in theological studies from Emory University, with an emphasis on ethics, and then went back to teaching graduate students. She has also spent over fifty years working with the League of Women Voters. This impressive background is the foundation for her new book, Passionately Moderate: Civic Virtues and Democracy.

Professor Ulbrich starts by explaining that democracy is not a “thing”, but a process that a large group of related individuals can use for making collective decisions. Not everyone is going to get exactly what they want all the time. Moderation and compromise are key to making this process work, and civic virtues are essential for resolving conflicts. In her words, “Moderation places all virtues at a center point of a continuum”. She defines America’s civic virtues, as outlined in the Declaration of Independence and the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution, as freedom, justice, equality, fairness, general welfare (the greatest good for the greatest number), and sustainability (meaning, in this case, long-term perspective).

The rest of the book attempts to answer questions facing the United States today. How do we measure the performance of civic virtues? How should a society deal with vast differences in wealth among its citizens? How can we manage conflicts in a society that places so much importance on individual freedom? Can we, in fact, determine what is the greatest good for the greatest number? Professor Ulbrich also includes a section specifically directed toward the individual. How can you, as a person, incorporate and practice these civic virtues in your individual life, and in your role as a contributing member of society?

This was a thorough, well-written, and interesting book. I appreciated how she used examples from history throughout the book, and judiciously used footnotes. By the end, I wished that I had an opportunity to take a class or seminar from Professor Ulbrich. My only disappointment is that while she lays the groundwork for what would help create a more just, equitable, freer, and safer society, she does not offer a solution for solving the problems we are facing here and now. However, this is no reflection on the quality and substance of her book, and I am not sure anyone has that answer.

I give Passionately Moderate: Civic Virtues and Democracy a rating of five out of five stars. The book was very readable and well-edited. I did not find any typos or grammatical errors. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in politics and ethics. This book, I believe, will give the reader a great deal to think about, and perhaps a sense of hope for the future.

Passionately Moderate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

The author's impressive background is a qualifier for a book of this nature, and if we look closely enough, we might find solutions to most of the current challenges. Thanks for your review.
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Seems like an interesting read. Your review made the important aspects of the book quite clear. Thank you for the detailed review! :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”