Review of What is Imagination? - Volume 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of What is Imagination? - Volume 1

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What is Imagination? - Volume 1" by Israel Bar Yehuda Idalovichi.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Imagination is an interesting thing; it's something that everybody has. Still, no one has ever been able to quantify it. In What is Imagination? - Volume 1, Israel Bar Yehuda Idalovichi presents a study on imagination as it relates to the different areas of human life.

It is approached from the standpoint of philosophy, mathematics, science, religion, psychology, creativity, theology, etc. For each topic being treated, we see the evolution of imagination over time and its effects. The author did not seek to present his conclusions but only to inform. The information in the book is based on the significant individuals and forces that shaped history over time.

The topic of this book was very intriguing, as imagination is not something one can completely comprehend. I was satisfied with the author's treatment of the topic. The book is exceptionally well written, and the author achieved what he set out to do. The level of detail in this book showed the amount of research the author put in. It made the book a valuable resource on imagination, as it spanned different disciplines.

Some quotations were taken from Hebrew, Christian, and Islamic religious books, and references were made to their contents and teachings. Nevertheless, the author was not biased or offensive. He merely focused on what he researched imagination to represent in these religious setups.

I did not come out with any unanswered questions or unfinished thoughts; I found myself engaged in the writing. It fed into my curiosity and provided enough information on each subtopic to cause enlightenment without overloading my mind. Anybody from any background can read this book. However, people with academic backgrounds would have an advantage.

This is a complex read by any means. The writing is complex and detailed, the language is academic, and it will be challenging for a novice to decipher. The author's use of long, compound sentences and tendency to draw out a single thought over several paragraphs can be confusing. Due to direct quotations taken from several philosophical authors, the reader might encounter some esoteric and outdated words. This is the only issue with the book. However, it is not enough to take away any star because the author does not explicitly state that he intends to make the book an easy read.

The book was appropriately edited, as I found a few errors, considering the length and complexity of the book. Overall, I enjoyed What is Imagination? - Volume 1 and would give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I could not give it a lower rating because the author left no stone unturned in treating the subject of imagination across many disciplines.

This book will appeal to a wide range of readers. However, it will be best enjoyed by people with prior academic backgrounds.

What is Imagination? - Volume 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Seems like an intriguing book, discussing a fascinating topic. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”