Review of A return to rationality

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Review of A return to rationality

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A return to rationality" by Daniel mongelli.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We live at a time where we have normalized acts such as environmental pollution, corruption and violence. At what point did humanity go wrong? Sadly, we have also developed ways to cope with these predicaments rather than addressing the root causes.

A Return to Rationality: Making Sense of an Insane World by Daniel Mongelli is a masterpiece seeking to examine the plight of humanity. The author begins by probing our emotional aspect. Animals were designed to react to stimuli. It can be positive or negative stimuli. But what defines these forms of stimuli? We must come to the realization that society, over time, imposed on us ‘improper’ responses to stimuli. Daniel notes that a rational response is a negative response to negative stimuli and vice versa. For instance, does studying hard guarantee a happy future?

In developmental psychology, human behavior can be expatiated through biological influences, such as genes (nature) and the environment (nurture). A study conducted by Liedhoff on Yequana people revealed interesting findings. This sect of people didn’t impose their will on others, children included. What are the implications of this independence in adulthood?

This book changed my view of life wholesomely. It justifies the law of physics that every action elicits a reaction. The results of institutionalizing children were phenomenal. Contrasted to a control group of non-institutionalized children, the latter developed cognitive function faster than institutionalized ones. This study of children further divulged the effects of institutionalizing children on their social behaviors. There are also plenty of insights into what constitutes proper parenting.

My favorite aspect is that the findings of this book are scientific-based and laden with supporting references. I appreciated the information revolving around the causes and prevention of violence. What is your take on catharsis? We’ve seen actors in movies projecting their anger and fears on objects. How do abortion and meditation aid in abating violence? ‘Controversial, right?’

I found the topic of pollution enlightening. It’s time for us to delink protection of the environment from the economic crisis. Other than leading comfortable lives, lots can be attained through environmental preservation. Tourism is one lucrative economic activity.

I couldn’t find anything faulty about this book. The editing was well done; the book is without errors. It would be unfair to end this review without emphasizing the need to embrace biodiversity. Reed Noss and Allen Cooperrider define biodiversity as the variety of life and its processes. Striving to have an inclusive world of all species can save us from what we led ourselves into and reverse some of the issues we grapple with.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone interested in expanding their view of the world. There is plenty of biology and psychology therein. I rate A Return to Rationality: Making Sense of an Insane World by Daniel Mongelli five out of five stars.

A return to rationality
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

An intriguing topic! Thanks for the elaborate review of the book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”