Review of Requisite for Revival

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Review of Requisite for Revival

Post by Vivian Stones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Requisite for Revival" by Dr. Carl W. Garrett.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Requisite for Revival talks about the Ten Commandments. Each chapter explains one of the commandments, how the commandment discussed applies to us, the numerous ways we break it, and so on. After reading this book, one may find that one has been unable to keep even one of these laws. This book does not only dwell on the Ten Commandments; it also explains the need for faith. It explains that because of the death of Jesus, we are no longer under these laws but under grace.

Dr. Carl W. Garrett wrote this book to open our eyes to what we already know but do not know completely. The book contained several positive aspects. The first is that it is lesson-filled. I learned so many things from this book. One thing I learned was the need for humility. This was exemplified in the story of how Ali exalted himself before the hostess and was humbled immediately. This passed across the message that anyone who exalts himself will be humbled. Secondly, I loved the stories included in the book. These stories ensured that I completely understood the message. The stories also contributed to making the book an interesting read, as there were not only teachings but practical examples of these teachings.

Carl does a good job distinguishing between the essence of the law and the essence of faith. He states that, ultimately, the law commands us but does not convert us. However, living in the faith that Christ died for us frees us. The author did well to cite where he got the stories and information he added to this book from. He also wrote out each commandment at the beginning of each chapter and then went forward to explain them. At the end of this book is a bibliography of the references, which provides an avenue for further reading.

I disliked nothing about the book. It is almost devoid of errors, as it contains only two errors. I rate this book five out of five stars. The book's positive aspects ensured that I gave it such a high rating. I found no reason to deduct a star. I recommend this book to people who need a greater understanding of the ten commandments, but especially to Christians.

Requisite for Revival
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”