Review of The Last Pirate II

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Review of The Last Pirate II

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Pirate II" by Capt John Philip Stirling.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Last Pirate II by Captain John Philip Stirling is a detailed account of the author's experience as a fisherman and smuggler on the Canadian waters and across international waters.

On a particular smuggling trip with 2.5 tons of cocaine, the author and his crew got busted, and were abandoned by the people he worked for both in the US and Canada. The author is left on his own to do everything humanly possible to get himself, his family and his crew members out of the mess created by others.

This book has some positive aspects. The first positive aspect of this book is that I noticed how detailed the author's account of his story was. It also spotlighted the importance of support, as this was heavily expressed through his wife Hogan and his friends from Chicago. In my opinion, this book was also a story of perspectives; it shows how the supposedly good guys did nothing but evil and how the bad guys supported and helped one another. An excellent example of this is El Chapo (Joaquin) coming through for Phil when he was broke. This book has the ability to draw a reader in and keep you curious for more.

However, on the negative aspect, I didn't quite appreciate the obvious distaste and dislike for any law enforcement agent and their agencies. The author seemed to be obviously biased. This does not send the right messages to the readers. I noticed an alarming amount of profanity too. Although this might be subjective to each reader, but it is still worthy of note. Then, I found a lot of errors in this book which tampered with my reading pace.

I would remove a star from my rating because of the abovementioned negative aspect. Another reason I have to remove a star from my rating of this book is that it was not professionally edited. However, that would not totally oust the quality of the content. So, I'm compelled just to remove two stars from my rating. Therefore, I give this book a 3 out of 5 stars, as it achieved the feat of piquing my curiosity. To me, that is one of the must-haves of nonfiction.

I would recommend this book to curious readers and people who are fascinated by these types of stories. As an insider story, it offers the story of narratives and personal relations and how who tells the story matters because it plays a massive role in determining the manner in which the reader sees the characters. Anyone who reads this story would clearly understand Captain Phil Stirling.

The Last Pirate II
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”