Review of Tribute to a Hero

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Review of Tribute to a Hero

Post by Akshi Porwal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tribute to a Hero" by Paula Harding.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The story of one brave man, Major Paul Harding, and his bereaved family and friends is recounted in Tribute To A Hero: The Life & Loss of Major Paul Harding MiD At Basra. It is written by his comrade-in-arms, Garry McCarthy, and his wife, Paula Harding. Major Paul Harding was an exceptional man who laid down his life while defending his base in Iraq. Apart from being an extraordinary soldier, he was also a loving husband, father, and son.

This heart-wrenching account of grief truly made me feel a fraction of the pain that Paula was going through. Major Harding was a hero in every sense of the word. Not only was he a brilliant soldier who put others before himself, but he was also a gentleman who loved deeply. Paul was Paula’s life since the age of 19. Following his loss, Paula had to learn to live all over again. She portrays a realistic picture of how grief never leaves you; you just have to learn to live in moments of happiness. Even in their time of loss, Paula and Garry were never selfish and showed deep concern for others.

Reading this book evoked a sense of loss for a man I had never known. I struggle to find words to describe the beauty of this book adequately. I stayed up the entire night to finish reading it. The book effectively portrays how no war is free; it is paid for with the blood and tears of the martyrs and those left behind.

I would like to give this book 5 out of 5 stars. It is brilliantly written and seamlessly weaves the journeys of three people into one central narrative. This is one of the best books I have reviewed thus far. The editing is exceptional, as I could not find any grammatical errors, typos, or inaccuracies. There was absolutely nothing that I disliked about this book.

I highly recommend this book to any reader interested in an emotional memoir of loss. Readers who want to understand the inner workings of the support system for bereaved families, as narrated by McCarthy, should also try this book. However, readers who are sensitive to topics such as the loss of a loved one or suicidal thoughts should approach this book with caution. This book about a true hero deserves to be read by as many people as possible.

Tribute to a Hero
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

I'm going right after this book. Your review depicts that it is an emotional book as regards the event that took place in it, and I cant wait to find out for myself what they are and how well they were described.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”