Review of Sliding Doors The Story of a Nation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Review of Sliding Doors The Story of a Nation

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sliding Doors The Story of a Nation" by Farah M.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sliding Doors is a rather sad book about the struggles, torture, and death that the people of Iran have suffered and endured for the past forty-four years. Although the author, Farah M., tells her story, the story centers more around the sufferings of her people and how the world powers are so less concerned, as though they are waiting for the whole nation to die. She hated the regime of the self-appointed government for bringing nothing but misery to the Iranian people. According to the story, the United States and the United Kingdom joined forces with other neighboring countries to rob Iran of all its wealth and resources. Iran did not even stand a chance at winning such a battle, so the people went into hiding, with some of them fleeing to other countries like India.

Between then and now, the people of Iran have lost all the cultures and traditions they once held dear. Farah also narrates her own story and her own sufferings, most of which were directly related to the fact that she was Iranian. She had so much grudge and anger bottled up until she met Jayden, who even helped her choose Farah as her name. Regardless of whatever height she attains, she always fears that this terrorism could reach the whole world. All that Farah is asking the world, which cares less about the sufferings of others, is: if we wake up one day and find out how bleak our children’s future has become, will our children forgive us for doing nothing while we had the chance to?

One of the things I love about this book is how the author is very expressive. While she spoke, you could hear the emotions in her voice. You could feel the pain she felt while being molested. For example, you could also laugh when she told a funny story, and so on. I listened to the audiobook format of the book, and I did not hear any errors while listening.

There were a number of things I didn't appreciate about the book. First, the chapters did not correspond with what she was saying. For instance, what she would call Chapters 16 and 17 would be Chapter 14 in the Table of Contents. It made the book quite confusing at some point. Secondly, I could hardly pick out the words being said in some places, and I just had to assume anything. This may be attributed to the volume, so it is expected that some people might miss out on some details. Also, some of the chapters were really longer than they should have been. Yes, some stories take longer to tell, but when you can hardly pick out the words, it gets frustrating.

I rate this book four out of five stars. The book has very interesting storylines. Anyone can relate to the stories in the book. However, the structure was irregular. The author kept going back and forth. You will need to listen to about five chapters before you understand exactly what the author is talking about.

I recommend this book to people who are suffering from any form of racist attack and to those who have been chased out of their country or still live there but are forced to endure hardship from terrible governance. People who are bullies also need to read this book to know the impact that molestation can have on people, even many years later. I would also love to recommend this book to people who are struggling with their identity, as this book would teach you to accept your true nature.

Sliding Doors The Story of a Nation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”