Review of The Lesson of the Empty Chairs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Heart and Harmony: Poetic Reflections on Legendary Singers by Archie Luper

Review of The Lesson of the Empty Chairs

Post by Obc Contentor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lesson of the Empty Chairs" by Brian Bowles.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In "The Lessons of the Empty Chairs: How a Gay Medium Found Grace" by Brian Bowels, the author shares the journey which he and his husband embark upon during the Covid-19 pandemic to emphasize the presence of hope in challenging times. They culminate their adventures with a visit to the Oklahoma Bombing Memorial Site, where they encounter empty chairs and a survivor oak tree that miraculously withstood the destructive forces of an earthquake explosion. This poignant experience inspires the author, teaching him that hope is always accessible if one chooses to embrace it. Motivated by this revelation, he bravely shares his own story of surviving hatred, drawing parallels to the survivor oak tree.

Brian Bowels, considered the proverbial black sheep in his devoutly Catholic family of six, faces disapproval from his mother due to his homosexuality. She goes so far as to attribute his nature to possession by the devil and persistently urges him to pray. Despite his best efforts to pray as he understands it, he feels no change and begins to harbor resentment toward any subject related to God. Brian encounters numerous instances of familial animosity and faces the consequences of his choices, including the challenges of embracing his homosexuality, publicly acknowledging his husband, and even attempting suicide. Through his memoir, the author aims to shed light on the struggles he endured while seeking acceptance for his life choices and finding grace along the way.

I am confident that the book effectively fulfills its intended purpose. It serves as a powerful reminder that, upon reflecting on our life's journey, we can recognize the instances where grace has intervened to save us. The book imparts a meaningful philosophy that deepens our understanding of hope. One particular phrase that resonated with me and further strengthened my appreciation for the book is:
Hope is a form of insanity because it disregards the current facts. However, hope builds bridges to new possibilities that cynicism and defensiveness seek to destroy.
This thought-provoking statement encapsulates the essence of hope. Additionally, the author's storytelling tone is captivating and relatable, leaving readers curious and eager to delve further into the book. I found myself deeply moved by the author's personal journey, particularly the emotional saga involving his mother. It was heartening to witness his transformation from a state of misotheism to embracing mediumship and discovering new perspectives on life.

While the book successfully delivers its message of hope to those navigating difficult circumstances and encourages reflection on moments when grace intervened, I personally hold reservations about the mediumship aspect described by the author. It contradicts my own faith, and I remain skeptical of its authenticity. Furthermore, despite the author's transition from the faith he practiced under his mother's guidance to mediumship and the subsequent experiences that validated his new path, he still did not encounter the miracle he had sought when he attempted to pray away his homosexuality. This particular aspect left me unsatisfied with his story.

However, acknowledging that this book represents the author's personal journey, my dissatisfaction does not provide an objective reason to diminish its merits. Instead, I would advise prospective readers to be aware that the book contains LGBTQ-related content, and those who are uncomfortable with such themes may prefer alternative options. However, for readers who are open to exploring LGBTQ narratives, this book offers allegorical stories that impart a message of hope and renewal. I did not come across any grammatical errors while reading, indicating meticulous editing, and I wholeheartedly rate it five out of five stars.

The Lesson of the Empty Chairs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okocha Victor »

This book's cover looks so elegant. Even if you're not reading the book, it is something to carry about that'll up your outlook. "I am confident that the book effectively fulfills its intended purpose. It serves as a powerful reminder that, upon reflecting on our life's journey, we can recognize the instances where grace has intervened to save us. " There is a quote I know of that agrees with this statement. It states that if you can account for every blessing in your life and how it was gotten, then you're without grace.
Cherybola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherybola.html
Latest Review: The Elephant Tooth of '95 by Rana Baydoun

Post by Cherybola »

Well done for this honest review. Discovering one's sexuality doesn't align to a socially acceptable one can be particularly challenging. I felt for the author when the author felt the animosity from his family because of his sexuality. I'm happy the author has been able to come to acceptance of who he is and understanding that grace is available for him.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

Homosexuality and religion do not quite align. I'm glad the author was able to reconnect with Christianity irrespective of his sexuality. Great review.
Mercy Deen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-deen.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mercy Deen »

I felt for the author as he needs to struggle to have people accept who he is. I also agree that grace has saved us in many instances only if we don't agree to see it. The review is alluring to read the book.
Davy Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davy-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Small Business, Big Stress: A Practical Guide to Managing the Chaos and Finding Success by Niki Reiche

Post by Davy Ifedigbo »

Great job on providing an honest review. It can be especially difficult when someone realizes that their sexual orientation doesn't conform to societal norms. I empathized with the author as they faced hostility from their family due to their sexuality. I'm glad that the author has managed to reach a point of self-acceptance and recognize that there is support and compassion available to them.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Robert Andrew »

The memoir delves into Brian's struggles as the proverbial black sheep in his devoutly Catholic family, facing disapproval and hostility due to his homosexuality. His mother's attribution of his nature to possession by the devil and her insistence on him praying for change further deepen the complexities of his experience. Through his honest and brave storytelling, the author sheds light on the difficult journey of seeking acceptance for his life choices and finding grace amid hardship.
Velson julliey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-velson-julliey.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Velson julliey »

"The Lessons of the Empty Chairs: How a Gay Medium Found Grace" by Brian Bowels, the author shares the journey which he and his husband embark upon during the Covid-19 pandemic to emphasize the presence of hope in challenging times. Nice job on that compelling sumary.
Aside that, your review is well cordinated, straightforward, simplified and an easy read. Good job.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: Call Me Adam by Jo McCarty

Post by Veronica Hunter »

The premise of 'The Lessons of the Empty Chairs' by Brian Bowels is deeply moving. The intersection of personal struggles, acceptance, and the profound symbolism of the survivor oak tree creates a compelling narrative. Excited to read about Brian's resilience and the lessons he draws from his experiences.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”