Review of Unintended Consequences:a Mother’s Memoir

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of Unintended Consequences:a Mother’s Memoir

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unintended Consequences:a Mother’s Memoir" by Kathleen Regan.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Unintended Consequences: A Mother’s Memoir by Kathleen Regan is a poignant and heartfelt account of a mother’s journey through tragedy, loss, and the challenge of raising a troubled child. The book explores the author’s experiences as she receives the shocking news of her ex-husband’s murder and her son’s arrest for the crime. The chapters delve into the author’s personal growth, her college years, her marriage, her career, and her relationships. The book provides a raw and honest account of the author’s emotions, her interactions with family and friends, and her unwavering determination to navigate the challenges she faces. Ultimately, this book is a memoir that explores the complexities of motherhood, the consequences of our choices, and the resilience of the human spirit.

One of the strengths of this book is Regan’s raw and authentic voice. Her writing style is emotionally charged, allowing readers to connect deeply with her story and the range of emotions she experiences. Regan’s willingness to share her vulnerabilities and innermost thoughts adds a layer of authenticity that enhances the reading experience. It feels as though she is confiding in the reader, creating a sense of empathy and understanding.

The book also excels in its portrayal of relationships. Regan’s descriptions of her interactions with family members, friends, and romantic partners are rich and vivid. She navigates the complexities of these connections, offering glimpses into the support, conflict, and growth that occur within them.

While there are many things to like about the book, the depth of emotional exploration and the rawness of the writing may be overwhelming for readers seeking a more lighthearted or uplifting read. However, I did not find this to be a significant hindrance to my enjoyment of the book.

I did not find any errors in the book; it was perfectly edited. I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars. There was nothing that significantly disturbed me about this book. I recommend this book to those interested in introspective and emotionally charged memoirs. Additionally, those who are interested in exploring the complexities of motherhood, family dynamics, and personal growth would find this book thought-provoking and insightful.

Unintended Consequences:a Mother’s Memoir
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Okocha Victor »

it has been a constant thought of how difficult it would be for parents with troubled kids. I accord high respect to everyone raising a special need child. Your sacrifice and dedication to your child wouldn't go unnoticed and would definitely pay off someday. I'm pretty sure it isn't easy being a woman.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”