Review of The Tunesmith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Review of The Tunesmith

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tunesmith" by Gary May.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Tunesmith is a recount of the musical journey of M.K. Jerome written by his grandson, Gary May. M.K. Jerome was a talented songwriter who had made his mark in the music industry. He composed over 100 songs during his lifetime. M.K. Jerome, like any successful person, had his ups and downs, and this book chronicles his career in the music industry.

M.K. Jerome's original name was Maurice Kraus. He was well known as Moe. He was born on July 18, 1983, to George and Sarah Kraus. He learned how to play the piano quite well. He dropped out of school at 13 to support his family. He was discovered by Irving Berlin and began working as a song plugger for Ted Snyder company. On June 18, 1911, he married Rachel Meyer, and they had three kids together. He began writing songs to fend for his family. His first hit was "Just a Baby's Prayer at Midnight," which was recorded by Belle Baker. On April 18, 1929, he signed a contract with Warner Brothers. He wrote many songs for films. Some of his hit songs were "Jazz Baby," "My Little Buckaroo," "Sweet Dreams, Sweetheart," and "Some Sunday Morning."

M.K. Jerome was an accomplished man with many great feats in the music industry during the 20th century. He wrote over 100 songs. Some of his songs dominated the films they were written for. He was very talented and versatile. "Sweet Dreams, Sweetheart" and "Some Sunday Morning" were both nominated for the Academy Award for best original song. He worked with the likes of Ann Sheridan, James Cagney, Belle Davis, and Humphrey Bogart.

I loved reading about the author's relationship with his grandfather. They were really close, and they shared a love for music. It was evident that the author was quite proud of his grandfather. I found this book enlightening. It exposed me to the music industry of the 20th century. It also exposed me to different music genres, songwriters, and lyricists. Prior to reading this book, I did not know anything about sheet music or song pluggers.

I loved that the author listed all the songs mentioned in each chapter at the end of the book. The book was also interspersed with pictures to make it more factual. The author did a fantastic job of documenting his grandfather's story. It was clear he shared a great connection with him. It was also apparent that he did a lot of research before writing this book. His writing style was simple. It was also exceptionally edited, as I found no errors. For these reasons, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. There was absolutely nothing to dislike. I recommend this book to lovers of music.

The Tunesmith
View: on Bookshelves
Fred Newman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fred-newman.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fred Newman »

Music started from time immemorial we keep seeing different types of music. This book is quite amazing and rememds me of some old movies I do watch. I would love to read this book.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Sheen Jenny »

Sounds like a beautiful biography. Music is pure joy. It is one thing you can enjoy regardless of the language I love that the author was keen and made his grandfathers works known through writing. I will definitely check out this songs you highlighted
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: Delightful Hands by Andrew Pace

Post by Robert Andrew »

This review beautifully captures the essence of "The Tunesmith" and highlights the profound connection between the author and his grandfather, M.K. Jerome. The reviewer's admiration for M.K. Jerome's accomplishments in the music industry is evident, as they appreciate his talent and versatility as a songwriter. They also express their appreciation for the book's informative nature, shedding light on the music industry of the 20th century and introducing readers to various music genres, songwriters, and lyricists. The inclusion of a comprehensive song list and the use of pictures enhance the factual aspect of the book. The reviewer commends the author's meticulous research, simple writing style, and impeccable editing. Their glowing recommendation and perfect rating further emphasize their enthusiasm for "The Tunesmith." Overall, the reviewer's insightful and heartfelt commentary showcases their deep appreciation for the book and its subject matter, making it a commendable review.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: The Elfkin Journals by JDeVereS

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Wow, what a captivating review! This book sounds like an incredible tribute to M.K. Jerome's musical legacy. The author's personal connection and passion shine through, making it a truly enlightening read.
Uchechi uk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechi-uk.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Uchechi uk »

This book sounds like a biography of a musician. This book will be more relatable to musician in American and also to readers who age fall into the group of the author. Amazing review.
Baggett Yori
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baggett-yori.html
Latest Review: The Temple Of Truth And Lies by James Duvall

Post by Baggett Yori »

"The Tunesmith" by Gary May sounds like a heartfelt and informative recount of the musical journey of M.K. Jerome, written by his grandson. M.K. Jerome's impressive career in the music industry, his prolific songwriting, and his contributions to film soundtracks are highlighted, providing readers with insight into the 20th-century music scene. As a prospective reader, I'm intrigued by the personal and historical aspects of the narrative, as well as the exploration of M.K. Jerome's musical legacy.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”