Official Review: Life After You, what your death from dru...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Life After You, what your death from dru...

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life After You, what your death from drugs leaves behind" by Linda Lajterman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life After You: What Your Death From Drugs Leaves Behind is a non-fiction account of a mother losing her son Danny to the harsh epidemic of drugs. In this heart-wrenching narration, we hear from Linda Lajterman who is sharing her devastating story in hopes of reaching out to others. As indicated from the title, this story not only involves the horror of learning about the impact of drug addiction against America's future leaders, but also the devastating death of her youngest child.

Linda starts off with a hopeful letter to the parents, pleading them to try to talk to their children about the impacts of drug use and abuse. The author then jumps straight in to speaking to the young people, leaving nothing to imagination. Linda takes her shattering experience and puts it to work- unleashing a story of less than 100 pages that is sure to influence readers of all ages. The pain depicted in Linda's writing is so raw that I actually felt heartbreak for her family and others who could be experiencing the same turmoil. She tells the audience that she started this non-fiction narraration only two weeks after the death of her last born.

I was pleased that the writing and editing was done attentively, as not to interfere with the telling of her story. The timeline she portrays is accurate and descriptive- enough to hopefully place the fear of death and loss in the eyes of the young people experimenting with dangerous substances. She leaves no detail out, which I can only imagine was agonizing for her along the way. She details the experience from the point of view of a mother, a father, siblings, and all other loved ones. Not for a moment does she sugar-coat the harrowing situation that her family was left in, which had tears in my eyes for the duration.

As a mother myself, I cannot fathom the tragedy of losing a child, and even more so to, something as preventable as drug abuse. As parents, we do everything in our power to keep our children happy and healthy, but as Linda explains, talking to your children about the ever present consequences of drug abuse is the best way to make sure you keep the communication open. I know from experience that there are some things young adults keep private from parents, and while you don't want to come off as suffocating to them, we as parents are responsible for shaping their future. It's completely inevitable- drugs will always be present as long as there is someone out there willing to buy them. Linda explains in detail the best ways to address the situations from a young adult perspective as well as an adult.

I am happy to say that I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, and would love to see Linda's work as something provided to high school students. Coming from someone who is personally impacted by the consequences of a family member's drug abuse, I feel like her material is one that is not simply read and dismissed. The story of Life After You is devastatingly real, and her emotion is obvious throughout. I recommend this testimony for all parents, teachers, and counselors to read and share with their early teenage children.

Life After You, what your death from drugs leaves behind
View: on Bookshelves

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

You know that when someone can leave such a strong message with people in less than 100 pages it's a great book. I am definitely interested in reading this. Thank you for the great review.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Kourtney Bradley

Amh73090 wrote:You know that when someone can leave such a strong message with people in less than 100 pages it's a great book. I am definitely interested in reading this. Thank you for the great review.

Thank you! I didn't take me long at all to read, due to the length, but wow - the impression it leaves!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a real tearjerker, especially for mothers like myself :) Great job on the review. Congratulations to Linda Lajterman on such an obviously great book.
Kourtney Bradley

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a real tearjerker, especially for mothers like myself :) Great job on the review. Congratulations to Linda Lajterman on such an obviously great book.
A tearjerker for sure! Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

Great job on the review! I can't even imagine how horrible it must have been to go through something like that, but if her book can prevent even one drug related death than it will have been worth putting the experience to paper. Congratuations to the author on such a good review.
Last edited by Kia on 27 Aug 2016, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Kourtney Bradley

Kia wrote:Great job on the review! I can't even imagine how horrible it must have been to go through something like that, but if her book can prevent even one drug related death than it will have been worth putting the experience to paper. Co graduations to the author on such a good review.
The author said the same thing! If it prevents one death, it's worth it! Thanks for reading!
–Vera Nazarian
Ashley_Renee
Currently Reading: Typography Essentials
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Ashley_Renee »

Your review has got my curiosity flowing. Planning to read this one, thanks for an awesome review.
Kourtney Bradley

Ashley_Renee wrote:Your review has got my curiosity flowing. Planning to read this one, thanks for an awesome review.
Glad to hear it! Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: An American in Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful eview. This sounds like a book that was both heartbreaking to write and heartbreaking to read. I commend the author on writing it as a way to help others.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kourtney Bradley

It's very obvious how difficult it was for the author to write this, but sharing her story was so important to her. Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

excellent review. I am a teenager.I am really friendly with my parents as well as siblings.this friendship is what makes me feel easy and confident.our relationship is such strong. I think we definitely built it up by spending time with each other...like a lot!I share everything and my mother understands me so well!that is another reason I find a way to get out of depression. that is my mother's lap,not drugs.I want to say this for all those teenagers who thinks their parents understands nothing. there can be no one on earth who can love you more than your parents. so please respect them.share your things with them.try to understand them....love them.cause you might be the luckiest one to have a family.Congratulations to Linda Lajterman! thanks for such an wonderful review klbradley.I'll make sure I read that.
Kourtney Bradley

Ashley 1820 wrote:excellent review. I am a teenager.I am really friendly with my parents as well as siblings.this friendship is what makes me feel easy and confident.our relationship is such strong. I think we definitely built it up by spending time with each other...like a lot!I share everything and my mother understands me so well!that is another reason I find a way to get out of depression. that is my mother's lap,not drugs.I want to say this for all those teenagers who thinks their parents understands nothing. there can be no one on earth who can love you more than your parents. so please respect them.share your things with them.try to understand them....love them.cause you might be the luckiest one to have a family.Congratulations to Linda Lajterman! thanks for such an wonderful review klbradley.I'll make sure I read that.

Thank you so much for sharing! And thank you for the lovely comments
–Vera Nazarian
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

A really great review and well written review @klbradley. The story definitely sounds promising. Congratulations to the author for getting such a great review. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Kourtney Bradley

Wasif Ahmed wrote:A really great review and well written review @klbradley. The story definitely sounds promising. Congratulations to the author for getting such a great review. :)
Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”