Official Review: A Mother's Courage by Suzy Milhoan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Official Review: A Mother's Courage by Suzy Milhoan

Post by bruin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Mother's Courage" by Suzy Milhoan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Mother’s Courage by Suzy Milhoan is a self-help book filled with detailed accounts of physical and mental abuse by her father. She interviews her four siblings and her mother to get their point of view on how the decades of abuse has affected them. She hopes that by writing about the turmoil that they grew up in, others will have the courage and knowledge to escape an abusive relationship before it traumatizes their children and negatively impacts the rest of their lives.

There are four sections in this book, each focusing on different topics of domestic violence. The chapters in each section are organized by incidence of abuse in chronological order. The first section is about how children feel when they are witnessing physical and verbal abuse between their parents. Milhoan writes about her most traumatizing experiences that triggered each emotion. She includes family photographs and the different point of views from her siblings in each story. This section is important because often times the abused parent does not realize that their children are being effected even if they are not directly being physically abused. These stories can encourage a family to leave the abuser before too much emotional damage is done to the children. The other sections of the book cover mental health issues, important reasons to get children out of an abusive environment, and concludes with many resources on how get help.

Some of the stories are painful to read because of the details of physical abuse. There is a warning in the introduction that states “this book includes graphic details of domestic abuse not appropriate for those under the age of eighteen.” I would use personal discretion for teens under the age of 18 to read this book because some of the stories and resources can help them avoid or get out of an abusive relationship. This family’s story started with a teen marriage, and also shares the negative effects of domestic violence when the children get into relationships as teens.

Milhoan explains that this book was “written in layman’s terms” which sets it apart from other self-help books on abuse. It is not a clinical guide, or filled with research findings. It is similar to reading unedited journal entries, with random thoughts added in between her story-telling. When she interviews her siblings, it is an account of raw emotions and disorganized thoughts. This writing style adds to the authenticity of the people involved, which I believe was important to her. She did a thorough job at conveying the reality of how bad physical and verbal abuse has affected her family into their adulthood.

I would have given this book a perfect score, but some parts of the book were repetitive and could have been left out. I give it a 3 out of 4 and would highly recommend it to anyone in an abusive relationship because there are resources in here to help them get out and seek help when there seems to be no way out of it. Some might read this book and realize that they are in an abusive relationship and can use the resources to help them take necessary steps to get out of it before it does too much damage. I would also recommend this to adults who witnessed abuse or were abused as children to help them with rehabilitation. There’s so much that can be learned and used to improve your life from everyone’s perspective in this book. You learn from all of the individual perspectives in an abusive environment: the abused mother, the abusive father, and the children involved.

A Mother's Courage
View: on Bookshelves

Like bruin's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Pearl in the Sand
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Abuse is such a horrible thing. Stories like this need to be told, and I hope it gives courage to someone suffering through the same things. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I believe this will be good material for every home, as a caution to what effect abuse has on both parents and children. There is no winner in an abusive relationship, but all round losers including the abusive party. Thanks for the review to bring this front of the burner.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a helpful book. However, the graphic details of domestic abuse might be too much for me. Great job on the review.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

kandscreeley wrote:Abuse is such a horrible thing. Stories like this need to be told, and I hope it gives courage to someone suffering through the same things. Thanks for the review.
You're Welcome. I agree that stories like this need to be told. It is very courageous for this family to reveal everything that they went through to help others. I know it is not easy to talk about.

-- 11 May 2017, 17:30 --
Chrys Brobbey wrote:I believe this will be good material for every home, as a caution to what effect abuse has on both parents and children. There is no winner in an abusive relationship, but all round losers including the abusive party. Thanks for the review to bring this front of the burner.
You're welcome. It definitely is good material to have at home. I have known young women who do not realize that they are in a mentally abusive relationship. I have also known mothers who rationalize that as long as it not physically directed towards their children, then they will take the abuse (instead of them). This was a very eye opening for me to read and understand the different perspectives. Everyone can benefit by being educated about this topic.

-- 11 May 2017, 17:36 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a helpful book. However, the graphic details of domestic abuse might be too much for me. Great job on the review.
You're welcome. Yes, the graphic details were definitely hard to read through. I had to take breaks to gather all of the different emotions I had reading through everyone's stories. I am glad that they decided the details were necessary because someone going through similar situations might realize that they should not be ashamed of seeking help for their abusive family life.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I am a big fan of books on domestic violence. Of course I would prefer an absence of them if Domestic violence didn't exist.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”