Review of Risky Business In Rising China

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: The Tainted Jade by Richard Blaine

Review of Risky Business In Rising China

Post by Veronica Hunter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Risky Business In Rising China" by Mark Atkeson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book recounts the author's journey in China. It emphasizes the rapid modernization of China, its economic transformations, and hurdles such as corruption and bureaucratic obstacles. It also narrated the author's shift from corporate leadership to venture capitalism, mirroring the dynamic shifts in China's economy. Important events include his tenure at Cincinnati Milacron, observing Japan's influence, overseeing joint ventures, and establishing Mobile Internet (Asia) Ltd. The book also highlighted societal concerns like capital outflow and property investments, alongside personal anecdotes like adoption and grappling with administrative complexities. The author explores the aviation industry and contemplates returning to the U.S., reflecting on China's economic slowdown and future prospects.

Risky Business in Rising China by Mark Atkeson is a captivating memoir that offers readers a firsthand account of China's extraordinary transformation over the past four decades. Through the lens of the author's personal and professional experiences, the book provides deep insights into the complexities of modern China's economic rise and its implications for global dynamics. Atkeson's astute analysis of China's economic boom, its challenges, and its uncertain future adds depth to the narrative. He explores issues such as slowing economic growth, environmental concerns, and social inequalities, shedding light on the complexities of China's development.

One notable aspect of the book is Atkeson's candid depiction of the risks involved in pursuing business opportunities in China. Through personal anecdotes and detailed accounts of corporate ventures, he explains the unpredictable nature of the Chinese market, where success and failure often hinge on navigating regulatory hurdles, cultural nuances, and shifting economic policies.

There isn't a single aspect of the book that I didn't enjoy. The author's adept elucidation of the intricacies within China's business world possesses an undeniable allure, capable of captivating even those outside the conventional business sphere. Atkeson's narrative explains China's rapid modernization, from the industrial haze of Beijing to the upscale suburbs, capturing the stark contrasts of its economic growth. His journey, paralleling China's evolution from a closed economy to an economic superpower, offers a unique perspective on the country's trajectory.

The editing of the book is without fault; I didn't notice any errors. I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars because of the author's ability to captivate and sustain my interest throughout the book. He demonstrates a mastery of storytelling and an adeptness at communicating complex concepts in an accessible manner. Also, this book stands out as an invaluable resource for anyone seeking to understand the dynamics of China's business landscape, earning it a well-deserved 5-star rating. I recommend this book to business professionals, entrepreneurs, and investors.

Risky Business In Rising China
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ahmed Abdelgawwad 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmed-abdelgawwad-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Ahmed Abdelgawwad 1 »

"Risky Business in Rising China" is a fascinating and informative book that provides a unique perspective on the challenges and opportunities of doing business in China. Mark Atkeson, a successful entrepreneur and business consultant, draws on his extensive experience in China to offer valuable insights and practical advice for anyone interested in doing business in this rapidly changing market.

The book is well-written and engaging, with a clear and concise style that makes it easy to follow. Atkeson covers a wide range of topics, including the cultural and legal differences between China and the West, the importance of relationships and connections, and the potential risks and pitfalls of doing business in China.

One of the strengths of the book is its focus on real-world examples and case studies, which illustrate the challenges and successes of doing business in China. Atkeson also provides a wealth of practical advice and tips, such as how to navigate the Chinese legal system, how to build and maintain relationships, and how to avoid common mistakes.

Overall, "Risky Business in Rising China" is a must-read for anyone interested in doing business in China. It is well-researched, well-written, and packed with valuable insights and practical advice. Whether you are an entrepreneur, a business executive, or simply interested in learning more about China, this book is a valuable resource that you will not want to miss.

In conclusion, I highly recommend "Risky Business in Rising China" by Mark Atkeson for anyone looking for a professional, accurate, and insightful review of this important book.
George Nduuru
Favorite Book: Original Wisdom
Currently Reading: If... and other stories
Bookshelf Size: 50
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by George Nduuru »

Very thorough review. Looking forward to learning more about the opportunities and risks of conducting business in China.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The reviewer effectively communicates the key elements of the book, highlighting the author's journey in China and emphasizing its focus on the country's rapid modernization, economic transformations, and associated challenges. The memoir's unique perspective on China's economic rise is acknowledged, with the author's personal and professional experiences adding depth to the narrative.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further.
Dani Elle Ele
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-elle-ele.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Dani Elle Ele »

I'm grateful for your thorough review! Your perspectives have intrigued me, and I'm eager to delve into the book. Your insights convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts; they've inspired me to explore further.
Williams Nnodim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Williams Nnodim »

The book details the author's journey in modern China, covering economic changes, challenges, corporate shifts, societal issues, and personal experiences, including reflections on the aviation industry and potential return to the U.S.
Bradley Twesten
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: License To Loot! by Pascale Batieufaye

Post by Bradley Twesten »

The boss wants me to head to China in the fall for a supplier visit. I'm eager to see what their business processes really look like. Thanks for the review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”