Official Review: Erase the Problem of Bullying

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Official Review: Erase the Problem of Bullying

Post by Elaine5 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Erase the Problem of Bullying" by Jill Ammon Vanderwood.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Erase the Problem of Bullying is a nonfiction book for young people who are experiencing bullying. The author is Jill Ammon Vanderwood, and there are many contributing experts from celebrities and self-esteem experts, to children who are experiencing bullying, have experienced bullying, or have acted as bullies.

The book is organized into parts that describe, through real stories, different types of bullying. It covers bullying because of race, sexual orientation, disability, religion and cyber bullying. It also uses stories to highlight the kind of bullying that happens just because your mom is a garbage collector, just because your clothes are worn, just because you're new here, just because you're different than me and simply, just because.

Each part has a different author who is either sharing their experience or their expertise. Several sections are written in the style of an interview. For example, twelve year old Riley answers questions such as "How did the bullying start?" and "Did you tell anyone?". Other sections are written as a narrative and many include direct messages of encouragement to those who might be experiencing bullying. When writing about bullying because of race, Keesha Parsons advises "...be secure in your person and remain strong and realize that there will always be people against you who try to stop you. Never let another’s view of you get in the way of your goals. Stay focused."

I really enjoyed the fact that this book had many contributors sharing a message of hope and encouragement. The stories were those that many young people will be able to relate to. They included the perspectives of those who had very recently experienced bullying to those who had moved on and achieved great success. I love that the author included a list of celebrities who have disabilities and a list of celebrities who were bullied.

For the most part, the book gave real advice and concrete suggestions to young people. However, there were a couple of sections that read more like teasers for the contributing author's work. This is true of the section written by the director and founder of a nonprofit organization called Kidpower Teenpower Fullpower International. In this section, I mainly learned about all of the services, books and videos that Kidpower has to offer.

I liked this book and the message it has for young people. I would recommend it to victims of bullying, bullies and bystanders who are as young as ten, right through high school. I would also recommend it to parents who might be concerned that their children fall into one of those categories. It's worth noting that there are several resources listed at the end of the book. The promotional nature of some sections has me rating the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Erase the Problem of Bullying
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Elaine5's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Pearl in the Sand
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well it definitely sounds like there's some good stuff in this book. Worth reading for anyone dealing with bullying or knows someone who is. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Catherine and AJ
Currently Reading: Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by Catherine and AJ »

This seems like a very useful book for teenagers or really anyone who is being bullied. I can remember friends being afraid to go to class because they would run into a bully there. This seems like a book that could have helped them through that time.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I agree that the promotional sections of the book would have thrown me off too. Bullying is such an important matter that affects so many people. It's kind of inappropriate to be promoting another work while talking about such a important issue. That aside, the book sounds amazing and I love that it is filled with accounts from many contributors. It makes it more relatable.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks for commenting. Bullying and feeling isolated because of it is unfortunately a really common problem. In spite of that, those experiencing it often feel completely alone. This book could help a young person to understand that they are not alone and "this too shall pass".
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I don't know that I'd have much use for the information in this book, but I'm sure there are many out there who could benefit from its contents. Interesting review.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This sounds like a wonderful resource for people that have been bullied or are being bullied. Great review!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting, liberating and helpful book. Bullying is a very serious problem in our society and has to be taken seriously. That was very nice of the contributors to share their own experiences to help other victims of bullying. Good job on the review.
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

thanks for commenting. I agree that it's a great resource and bullying has become a huge problem. It's always good to find resources that might help get someone through the day.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Good idea for the author to include celebrities. Those bullied will see how one can put the bad ordeal behind them and achieve their goals in life. Good book and nice review.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I wish I could have read this way back in primary school when I needed the info :/

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”