Official Review: Life as it Happens 2000-2005

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Official Review: Life as it Happens 2000-2005

Post by k2rugman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life as it Happens 2000-2005" by Howard Mack.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life as it Happens 2000-2005 by Howard Mack is a delightful narrative depicting the life adventures of the author. This installment includes two stories. The first tells of Mack’s year experiencing homelessness after facing the calming down of the dot com boom. He worked in IT and people were getting laid off by the thousands. He eventually ran out of money and moved to Montreal. He describes his experiences trying to maintain welfare, dealing with other homeless people stealing his things, and trying to find refuge in shelters.

The second story takes place several years later. The author was able to find a job and a fiancée. After saving some money he had an itch to travel. He decides he wants to spend a day in Paris. With his one way ticket and a pocket full of cash he heads to France. As soon as he arrives, he discovers that traveling abroad without a plan is not quite the kind of adventure he was hoping for. He faces several trials that require the help of the French police and the Canadian consulate.

When I first read the title of this book I thought it was going to be a historical narrative of events that happened in 2000-2005 in Montreal and Paris. I was delighted that it was more personal than a general history. It had the feel of reading out of someone’s journal. The writing felt conversational; as if I was sitting and listening to the author tell his stories. The style of writing and the way he subtly addresses the reader made me empathize with the author.

There was not much to dislike about this book. The only problem I had was the format. The words were centered on the pages in choppy incomplete paragraphs. This was a little distracting but I was still able to fully understand the story line. This book was a short 31 pages. It was a quick and easy read. The author provides enough details to keep the book interesting but not so many to make it boring.

I give Life as it Happens 2000-2005 by Howard Mack 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the misfortune the author faced, the book still promoted a sense of wanderlust. I would like to give it four stars but the editing did not seem professional. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys traveling or reading about life events that may differ from their own. I certainly hope there are other installments of the author’s life and that they are as interesting as this one.

Life as it Happens 2000-2005
View: on Bookshelves

Like k2rugman's review? Post a comment saying so!
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

this sounds like it would make an interesting read while traveling, at least for me it does.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

stalliongirlke wrote:this sounds like it would make an interesting read while traveling, at least for me it does.
j

I agree. 31 pages, this sounds great.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Pearl in the Sand
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Maybe the title should be changed on this one? It does sound like an interesting book, but not what I would picture from the title. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

kandscreeley wrote:Maybe the title should be changed on this one? It does sound like an interesting book, but not what I would picture from the title. Thanks for the review.
Yes, the title and cover don't really match the review. The review makes the book seem much more interesting than the book itself does, at first glance. Thanks for the review!
peace starts with a smile...

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”