Review of The Journal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Review of The Journal

Post by Alex Lynn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Journal" by Paul G Allman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Journal: Memories of Addis by Paul G. Allman is an actual historical true adventure novel. The book tells the adventure story of Alston Pierce, the protagonist. He started his adventure after his graduation from college to explore Europe, Sweden particularly. After the summer, he found himself in Greece, where the story begins. He kept an extensive journal of his journey; this journal exposes his events: living in a cave, expeditioning up the Nile River, crossing the Nubian Desert, traveling from Sudan into Ethiopia, and more. This is an exciting book through which the reader will discover the beauty of Africa, particularly Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, and Kenya, and the dangerous, challenging, and life-changing situations the protagonist encounters.

At the Caves of Matala, located on the Island of Crete, Tim and Sue commenced sharing their African journey with Alston. Among the highlights were the churches of Lalibela in the Gondor region of northern Ethiopia, which captivated Alston the most. Unable to resist the allure, Alston embarked on a journey to witness the eleven churches reputedly constructed by angels, according to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. Each church, sculpted from a single massive block of stone over 800 years ago, fascinated him deeply. Originally intending to visit Kenya, Alston opted to travel overland through Ethiopia to explore the churches of Lalibela. Along the way, he explored various historical sites, and his journey to Ethiopia unfolded as a twist of fate.

The 375-page book contains twenty-five distinct chapters and an appendix that validates most of the events he explained. I enjoyed the book; the journey was full of adventure, and I discovered numerous places and histories I didn't know existed. It excited me to discover the presumed location of the Art of Covenant and also the story of King Solomon and Queen Sheba. One of the parts that captivated me the most is the philosophy of Epicurus, which Marianna shared with Alston, and also the historical background of Ethiopia as described by the author. The assertion that "Complete liberation from suffering can only be achieved by freeing oneself entirely from craving" deeply resonated with me. While certain events in the book may appear mundane individually, as a whole, the narrative proves to be worthwhile and deserving of one's time.

The book stands out for its exceptional editing, with not a single grammar error to be found and nothing to point to as a flaw. I am pleased to give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I highly recommend this book to both young readers and adults alike. Furthermore, it holds particular appeal for archaeologists, adventurers, and historians.

The Journal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

A great review of journal by paul the book has alot of teaching I guess 25 chapters would be enough for one to have a clear understanding of the book nice work must say.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

When I saw "living in a cave", I was immediately captivated. I cannot wait to see the beauty of Africa through the author's eyes. You wrote a beautiful review.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Heart and Harmony: Poetic Reflections on Legendary Singers by Archie Luper

Post by Obc Contentor »

As a prospective reader, this review offers an enticing glimpse into "The Journal: Memories of Addis" by Paul G. Allman. The narrative seems to promise a captivating adventure through Europe and Africa, with the protagonist, Alston Pierce, encountering a series of exciting and life-changing experiences.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”