Review of Dragonfly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: The Tainted Jade by Richard Blaine

Review of Dragonfly

Post by Veronica Hunter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragonfly" by Shirlae A Carruthers.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The story centers on the personal experiences of the author's life, Shirlae. She narrated her journey from a toxic job to another job, emphasizing her personal and professional growth. The book delves into her affection for dogs, the loss of her loved ones, and her sense of connection to them. Additionally, Shirlae discusses our connection to spirits and reflects on her path as a counselor.

Dragonfly by Shirlae A. Carruthers is a deeply personal narrative that narrates the author's experiences, emotions, and encounters with nature, grief, and the human spirit. Through a series of anecdotes and reflections, Carruthers invites readers into her world, offering glimpses of her journey through life's joys and struggles. One of the most compelling aspects of Dragonfly is Carruthers' connection to nature and her experiences with birds, particularly magpies.

The author's journey into the field of counseling is another standout aspect of the book. Through her experiences working with clients facing various challenges, she shared valuable lessons about empathy, healing, and the importance of self-care. These insights offer readers a deeper understanding of the complexities of human emotion and the role of counseling in fostering growth and resilience. 

I found nothing to dislike about the book. The section in Shirlae's story where she expressed her deep affection for dogs resonated with me on a deep level. Dogs, truly remarkable creatures, hold a special place in my heart, and I have encountered the transformative power of their companionship firsthand. Despite once harboring a fear of dogs, my perception shifted drastically when I formed a close bond with one. However, I can't begin to explain the grief I felt when we lost him. To this day, I reflect on some of the funny things he does. In reflecting on Shirlae's words, I am reminded of a quote by Anatole France: "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened." These words encapsulate the truth that the love and connection we share with animals have the power to awaken and enrich our souls in ways that are both profound and ineffable. Through our bonds with animals, we discover depths of empathy, compassion, and love that expand our understanding of the world and our place within it.

The book's editing is superb, as I didn't encounter any errors within its pages. I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars because of the emotions it invoked in me and also because of its impactful message. By sharing her story with honesty, Shirlae inspires readers to embrace life's challenges, find strength in adversity, and cultivate deeper connections with themselves and others. I recommend the book to readers who enjoy personal narratives intertwined with themes of self-discovery, resilience, and spiritual connection. Additionally, individuals interested in counseling or therapeutic practices may find the book insightful due to its exploration of the counseling journey.

Dragonfly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The connection to nature, particularly the author's experiences with birds like magpies, adds a unique and compelling dimension to the storytelling. The exploration of Carruthers' path into counseling and the valuable lessons shared about empathy, healing, and self-care offers readers an enriching perspective on the complexities of human emotions and the therapeutic process.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

Thank you for your valuable insights about this book. You've explained about the book very well. I'll definitely add this to my reading list
Dani Elle Ele
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-elle-ele.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Dani Elle Ele »

I appreciate your valuable perspectives; your review sparked my interest in reading this book. You provided excellent information about the book, and I thank you for that.
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

I also appreciate her explanation of animals roles in our healing
Williams Nnodim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Williams Nnodim »

Shirlae's book chronicles her transition from toxic work environments, highlighting personal growth and her love for dogs. She also delves into loss, spirituality, and her journey as a counselor.
Bradley Twesten
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Bradley Twesten »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”