Review of How Can I Not? Reflections on a Life Evaluating and Treating Victims of Child Maltreatment

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mary Clarkee
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-clarkee.html
Latest Review: A Holistic Strategy to Beat Cancer by Nguyen Minh Hai

Review of How Can I Not? Reflections on a Life Evaluating and Treating Victims of Child Maltreatment

Post by Mary Clarkee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How Can I Not? Reflections on a Life Evaluating and Treating Victims of Child Maltreatment" by Pat Bruno, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

How Can I Not? Reflections on a Life Evaluating and Treating Victims of Child Maltreatment by Pat Bruno, MD, is a book about understanding and helping children who have been hurt by others. It talks about different ways children can be hurt, like being hit, touched in a bad way, or not taken care of properly. The book also shows how people like doctors, police, and social workers work together to protect these children and make sure they get better. It shares stories about real kids and the problems they face, and it's all about making sure children are safe and cared for.

Dr. Pat Bruno writes affecting stories of children who have experienced sexual, emotional, and physical abuse in this book. He clarifies the serious consequences of this kind of trauma on the lives of children, highlighting the pressing need for assistance and intervention. Dr. Bruno depicts the horrific circumstances these defenceless people went through in evocative narration, highlighting the anguish and resiliency involved in their travels. As the story progresses, readers gain an understanding of the complexity of child abuse and the vital role that action and compassion play in preventing it. But even amid the darkness, rays of light show themselves, moving readers to find the routes to justice and healing as well as to be inspired by the survivors' persistence. This is a very sensitive topic that happens, and most people neglect it. This book would be a great guide to help you navigate abuse.

One amazing quality of this book is its simple and easy-to-understand writing style. The author uses everyday language that anyone can grasp, making complex topics like child abuse accessible to all readers. For instance, instead of using technical jargon, he tells stories about real children and their experiences, helping readers connect emotionally to the content. This approach makes the book engaging and relatable, allowing readers to empathise with the children and understand the impact of abuse on their lives. By using clear and straightforward language, the author effectively communicates important messages about the need for intervention and support for abused children. Also, the cover page draws me to this book; it has already concluded the entire book, and it's very amazing.

I would rate this book four out of five stars. I wasn't impressed by how some chapters and preliminary pages of this book were written in continuation of the others. For me, it would be more appealing for each of them to be written on a new page; it would make the work very neat. I also noticed a few errors while reading. These were the reasons for deducting one star. The book was nicely edited and very suitable for therapists, parents, and teenagers.

How Can I Not? Reflections on a Life Evaluating and Treating Victims of Child Maltreatment
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Biswajit Barman 1
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 91
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Biswajit Barman 1 »

"How Can I Not? Reflections on a Life Evaluating and Treating Victims of Child Maltreatment" by Pat Bruno, MD, is a poignant exploration of the harrowing realities faced by children who have endured abuse. Through affecting narratives and insightful reflections, Dr. Bruno sheds light on the profound impact of child maltreatment while advocating for compassion, intervention, and healing.
Biswajit Barman 1
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 91
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Biswajit Barman 1 »

"How Can I Not? Reflections on a Life Evaluating and Treating Victims of Child Maltreatment" by Pat Bruno, MD, is a poignant exploration of the harrowing realities faced by children who have endured abuse. Through affecting narratives and insightful reflections, Dr. Bruno sheds light on the profound impact of child maltreatment while advocating for compassion, intervention, and healing.
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Path to the Priestess Temple by Dianne Adel

Post by Kristin Cowan »

I wonder if this book covers the failed attempts to protect children by CPS etc and what can be done better
Jason Ortega 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jason-ortega-1.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Jason Ortega 1 »

The book is wonderful book that talks about how children will be protected in the environment and care is important for children.
Slayton Natasha Tillett
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slayton-natasha-tillett.html
Latest Review: Love and Nature/Amor y Naturaleza by Abraham Garcia

Post by Slayton Natasha Tillett »

This is a very brilliant book that fits into our today society. I believe after reading this book I would gain alot.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”