Official Review: How to be a Long Term Person in a Short ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Official Review: How to be a Long Term Person in a Short ...

Post by Buchacha21 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to be a Long Term Person in a Short Term World" by Michael Motta.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How to Be a Long Term Person in a Short Term World, by Michael Julius Motta, is a simple, non-fiction, how-to book for those looking to develop long term habits and consequently live a more meaningful life in a world that focuses so much on short term, instant gratification.

In this book, Motta discusses the difference between aspirations and goals and what constitutes a trackable, achievable and actionable goal. He describes the importance of determining and allocating resources in an efficient manner. And he delves deep into how to set up a system that will be manageable and maintainable for years to come.

I was admittedly a little nervous when I first picked up this book. I was concerned that it would be boring, lengthy, repetitive and useless, as I have found so many “long term” or habit-forming books to be. But within the first segment of the first chapter, Motta introduced the book with the humbling and effective statement that “most people die regretting the things they thought about doing but never actually did… Each of us thinks we are the exception.” This really struck me and I instantly knew that this book was for me!

I really appreciate how realistic Motta is in his approach to becoming a long term person. He explains how spending just 15 minutes a day working on long term tasks results in 90 hours of work a year and a full year’s worth of work over two decades! “What could you accomplish in a year?”

In addition to his realistic approach, Motta is also quite humble. He admits at the beginning of his book that “this book might be a waste of time for (some people)”. His goal is to write a book to help people realize their long term goals, not “bore (people) with details of how this system changed my life”. He openly admits that he does not always live up to his own system and, throughout the book, encourages the reader to adapt the system as necessary.

I really enjoyed the layout of this book. I loved how Motta started off each chapter with applicable, motivating quotes. It proved to me that this is a topic he is passionate about and has researched well. I felt that the book was very well organized. The material was presented in a very logical way that made it easy to move from one section to the next. Sometimes I get annoyed by too many headings, but I found them to be applicable and useful for this book.

Originally I started doing all of the exercises in the book, but I quickly realized that they had the potential to be very time consuming, especially if I wanted to do them properly, so I stopped doing them and vowed to reread the book in order to complete all the exercises and set up my long term goal-achieving system. Because of this, I had some trouble understanding some of the sections in the book as they assumed the reader had already done (or was currently doing) the necessary work. If you are reading this book without a deadline, I would strongly recommend taking the time to complete the exercises while reading the book as it will allow you to understand some of the sections in the book that may otherwise be difficult to follow.

One thing I wish Motta had done more of was give examples. There were times where I struggled to understand an exercise he explained or how something he described could be used in different circumstances. Examples would have helped clarify the expectations of the exercise as well as allow me to consider different situations that may not otherwise cross my mind.

This is a great book to have on hand and I expect to reread this book several times throughout my life. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars – I would give 3.5 out of 4 if I could give half stars. The lack of examples as well as the occasional confusing paragraph and errors (e.g. missing words) prevent me from giving this book a perfect rating. I really enjoyed this book and strongly recommend it to anyone looking to develop good long term habits and stick with them.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a long term goal system to set up!

How to be a Long Term Person in a Short Term World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Buchacha21's review? Post a comment saying so!
Wuod
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wuod »

This is a great book to all generations. I really enjoyed it
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

Absolutely, I would love to know how to be a long term person in this short-term world of ours. This book is a must read.

Nice review
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
jeanneyangyong
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanneyangyong »

This book is for all who wants to be useful in life
munir yare
Currently Reading: Teach and Grow Rich: Share Your Knowledge to Create Global Impact, Freedom and Wealth
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by munir yare »

RE: OFFICIAL REVIEW, HOW TO BE A LONG TERM PERSON IN A SHORT TERM WORLD by Michael Motta
Probably Michael particularly drives an idea that is so realistic and achievable focussing inspiration and goals that is future plans but however he simplifies ways we can be long-term person.

I was somewhat reluctant to read this book but after courage I was obsessed and painstickingly read this habit forming book, its really exceptional and realistic book really has been so relevant and concern with my long-term habit system of which I have to revive.

This being one of the most relevant book I have read in my live, Motta presented logic and reasonable examples, well executed research, compassionate and motivating quotes, readers well set from the first chapter despite many headings.

In my recommendation out of passion I will rate this book 3.5out of 4 stars if not slight errors I would have rated 4out of 4 stars :hand: :hand:

For me it has been a changing lesson
Munir yare reviewing how to be long term person in a short term world[*][amazon=][bco=][/bco][/amazon][/b]
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I like the honesty of the author. I also like self help books with practical exercises. Thank you for your balanced, honest review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
kenw
Currently Reading: The Brotherhood of Merlin, Book Two
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenw.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kenw »

It's a "bible" for those interested in personal development, i have not had all the time to go through page by page but it's motivational.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
AdrianSW
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by AdrianSW »

I absolutely love this! It shows that life is enjoyable without all the new world hype. Just sit back, enjoy the life and love around you.

-- 10 Jul 2017, 01:48 --
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Testing
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a good book for setting goals. It doesn't sound like something you can read all in one setting, but it is something you need to take time to digest. Thanks for the review. Very informative.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ndayisabayamado3
Currently Reading: I Can't Make This Up

Post by Ndayisabayamado3 »

I really love this book as it says how to be a long term person in the short term period.This will help
me to determine my fate and experience in working for purpose.I recommend it to those whore not punctual.
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

The title actually sounds like' boring for days when you just want to have a little fun but useful when you want to get SERIOUS with life'. The review is calming and makes you take a second look at the book. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Ndayisabayamado3
Currently Reading: I Can't Make This Up

Post by Ndayisabayamado3 »

I strive for being this kind of person in long living the world, but i need medicine to help me in grow prosper.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”