Review of Isazisi:The Book

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Review of Isazisi:The Book

Post by Nisha DSouza »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Isazisi:The Book" by Bongani Yona.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Isazisi: The Book by Bongani Yona is an eye-opening account of South Africa's cultural disintegration. The Isazisi feature film script was the source of inspiration for this book, and it explores the heartbreaking cultural loss that South Africa has been witnessing. The Apartheid regime, no doubt, was cruel and devastating for Africans. According to the author, the gradually declining conditions of the indigenous people are proving to be even more dangerous because they are not apparent to the unsuspecting eye. Yona sheds light on land ownership issues, migrations, politics, globalization, etc. He portrays how sports and religion also transformed the culture. Other developed nations offer incredible deals for African sports players to become naturalized citizens and win games for them. It was appalling to learn that some of these players were handed back their native passports and asked to return to their country if they happened to lose a game.

The book has a lot to offer; it talks extensively about culture, how different factors affect the culture of a region, and how critical it is to be aware of this cultural drift and to take measures to nip the cultural disintegration in the bud. The last one is particularly significant because, as the subtitle explains, Lose Your Culture, Lose Your Honour. The author has given examples of how various factors are slowly decimating the cultural traditions, languages, and customs of South Africa's indigenous people. Yona's insights on different areas where he sees the detrimental impact on African culture will leave the readers amazed that there's so much more than meets the eye. For instance, he mentioned how the local people don't even realize what colonialism did to their country, is still doing, and how one can still feel the aftershocks. One notable highlight of the book is the informative and honest outlook of the author toward his country and the cultural challenges it faces.

When I first started reading the book, I felt the major drawback was the repetitive nature of the message. But looking back, I can see how hurt and distressed the author must be over this subject, which justifies the consequent echoing thoughts reverberating through the rest of the pages.

This is a re-review of the book. I am delighted to report that the author has addressed the issues highlighted earlier, and the updated version of the book will have a remarkable impact. With no complaints, I gladly rate the book 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to not just the indigenous people of South Africa but also the South African government, the politicians who are misusing their power, the countries that are still colonizing South Africa under the guise of development and globalization, and most importantly, the world. We must wake up and see what is happening here; this can happen to any previously colonized developing country. The book does not have any sexual content, so it is perfect for all who are interested in understanding cultural disintegration and its alarming consequences.

Isazisi:The Book
View: on Bookshelves
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Loice Akello
Currently Reading: The unfakeable
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loice-akello.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 62%

Post by Loice Akello »

This is a wonderful review, I am hopeful that this read Will sharpen my reviewing skills. I am in a dilemma to read this book. Congratulations!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”