Review of A Chef on Ice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Review of A Chef on Ice

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Chef on Ice" by Sebastien JM Kuhn.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sebastien JM Kuhn saw an advertisement in a newspaper that said, "Are you interested in working and living in Antarctica? We need chefs: APPLY NOW!" and applied. To his surprise, he was shortlisted with fifteen others. After a rigorous screening process, the Human Resources Department of the Australian Antarctic Division called him to inform him that he had been selected. That is how he started the most rewarding (and challenging) experience of his career.

In Antarctica, daylight lasts 24 hours a day, and as you must already know, the land is covered in snow and the temperatures are extreme. I love the enthusiasm with which the author applied for this job. It gave him a reason to find the goodness in the experience, even when the cold temperature affected cooking or bathing. A Chef on Ice: Living and Working as a Chef in Antarctica is a recollection of his experience as a chef in Antarctica, his adjustments when he returned, and how his tenacity built him a business and made his fiftieth birthday wish come true.

I love how detailed and descriptive the author was in this book. I felt present in Antarctica with his descriptions of the environment, such as the hydroponic gardening lab where they grew some herbs and vegetables, the command building, the sewage treatment plant, laboratories for scientific research, the office for the weather forecaster, etc. There were experiences that would scare you, such as when the fire alarm went off. It was later found to be a sensor malfunction, but it was scary, even for me reading it. However, their firefighting team was more than ready for anything.

The highlight of this book for me was when Seb saw some neatly stacked stones by another explorer 30 years prior to his visit. It felt like a treasure hunt, where he realized both his wildest dreams and those of Roy. Seb must have loved his job, and he appreciates it because it gave him the best adventures of his life. In the end, he did not just pass through Antarctica; Antarctica passed through him. I love that his colleagues at the White Desert also reflected together on the journey and how it affects not only them but also the people they always leave behind.

If you love to travel, I recommend this book. It might just be the push you are waiting for to make your dreams come true. I also recommend it to chefs who like testing recipes. I did not encounter any errors while reading this book, which shows that it was exceptionally well-edited. It is my pleasure to rate it 5 out of 5 stars, as I disliked nothing about it.

A Chef on Ice
View: on Bookshelves
Biswajit Barman 1
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 91
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Biswajit Barman 1 »

"Chef on Ice: Living and Working as a Chef in Antarctica" by Sebastien JM Kuhn offers readers a fascinating glimpse into the extraordinary world of Antarctic exploration through the eyes of a chef. From the moment he responds to an intriguing advertisement in the newspaper to his return home and beyond, Kuhn's memoir is a captivating chronicle of his experiences in one of the most remote and inhospitable environments on Earth.
Livia Arista
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Livia Arista »

The book "A Chef on Ice: Living and Working as a Chef in Antarctica" offers a captivating and detailed account of Sebastien JM Kuhn's unique experience as a chef in Antarctica. Through vivid descriptions, the author immerses readers in the harsh yet mesmerizing environment of the continent, showcasing both the challenges and rewards of living and working in such an extreme setting. From navigating through 24-hour daylight to facing unexpected situations like a fire alarm scare, Kuhn's narrative is filled with excitement and adventure. His deep appreciation for the job and the unforgettable experiences it brings shines through, making it a compelling read for travel enthusiasts and chefs alike. With flawless editing and engaging storytelling, this book earns a well-deserved 5-star rating, offering readers a glimpse into a world few have the opportunity to explore firsthand.
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 75%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

To be a Chef in a remote and extreme place like Antarctica is not an easy task, I'm curious to read this book. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”