Review of A House in the Country

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: The Tainted Jade by Richard Blaine

Review of A House in the Country

Post by Veronica Hunter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A House in the Country" by David Cheatham.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In rural Alabama stands the Molett House, a symbol of family-related history and ancestral feuds. Eleanor and her partner commenced restoring this neglected relic, facing financial hurdles and unexpected setbacks. Amidst challenges, they relocated the house and started its renovation, uncovering historical mysteries and confronting the dark legacy of slavery and the secrets that lurk in it. Despite job insecurities and personal losses, their determination to preserve history remained very strong. The Molett House became a centerpiece for family gatherings, a wedding, and moments of reflection.

A House in the Country by David Cheatham is a captivating narrative that takes readers on a journey through time, history, and personal discovery. Set against the backdrop of rural Alabama, the Molett House emerges as a central character. As they confront the challenges of restoring the neglected Molett House, they are confronted with the choice to either embrace the past or succumb to the inevitability of its demise. Cheatham's narrative is his ability to evoke a sense of place, transporting readers to the heart of rural Alabama and immersing them in the sights, sounds, and emotions of the Molett House and its surroundings. From the faded grandeur of its exterior to the cluttered chaos within, every corner of the house tells a story, inviting readers to become active participants in its restoration journey.

One striking aspect that I love about the book is Mr. White's generosity towards Eleanor and her husband. Raised with an appreciation for the significance of a family home, he selflessly offered it to them, despite the condition attached. Despite the initial daunting nature of the condition, I believe it ultimately motivated them to take action and played a crucial role in their progress toward their goals.

Cheatham deftly explores themes of family, legacy, and the passage of time, painting a rich and multifaceted portrait of the Molett family and their enduring connection to the land. Cheatham's prose skillfully combines elements of mystery, resilience, and hope, drawing readers into the compelling story of Eleanor and her husband's quest to reclaim a piece of history. 

There was nothing I didn't enjoy about the book. I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars due to Eleanor's admirable efforts to preserve the Molett house despite financial hardships and uncovering family secrets. Her determination ensures that future generations will be aware of their family history, emphasizing the importance of confronting one's past rather than avoiding it in order to grow and improve. The editing of the book is impeccable, as I did not come across any errors. I recommend the book to readers who enjoy family sagas.

A House in the Country
View: on Bookshelves
Nancy Alvarado 1
Currently Reading: Never Teach a Pig to Sing. It is a Waste of Time and Besides it Annoys the Pig.
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Nancy Alvarado 1 »

Veronica, I appreciate the detailed review. The themes you say that this book has of: family, legacy, and the passage of time are all things that are right up my alley currently in my life so I will certainly be taking a look at this book in time. Thanks again.
Biswajit Barman 1
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 91
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Biswajit Barman 1 »

"A House in the Country" by David Cheatham is a poignant and evocative narrative that transports readers to the heart of rural Alabama, where the Molett House stands as a symbol of family history and ancestral legacies. Through the lens of Eleanor and her partner's restoration journey, Cheatham weaves a captivating tale of resilience, discovery, and the enduring power of heritage.
Williams Nnodim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Williams Nnodim »

Eleanor and her partner tackled challenges while restoring the Molett House in rural Alabama, discovering historical secrets and confronting its dark legacy, all while preserving family history and creating new memories.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”