Review of Chess Strategies for Beginners

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Review of Chess Strategies for Beginners

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chess Strategies for Beginners" by Eric H. Schuelke.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

As a casual chess player, I was drawn to this book when I saw it and decided to pick it up. "Chess Strategies for Beginners" is a walkthrough guide that includes helpful chess tips for both novice players looking to master the game and experienced players looking to improve their skills. If you fall into any of these categories, you will not be disappointed with this book.

Eric H. Schuelke began this book by providing a brief history of the game. This entailed its origins and the fact that the game has ancient roots in many civilizations. It was interesting to learn this because I had never attempted to learn its history on my own before. The updated information was greatly appreciated. It then went on to discuss how various tactics and strategies were used in the game. Tactics are short-term game plans, whereas strategies are long-term ones. Several opening play patterns were introduced, and they demonstrated how they incorporated the various tactics described. This was made possible because the book had previously explained how to read the board. I liked the simple language used to describe these points because it made the descriptions much easier to understand.

To aid comprehension, graphical images were used to provide a more accurate description. Real-life games from famous chess masters were also used to support his points. The author's extensive knowledge of the subject was evident because of the way he described why some of those moves were made and the benefits they provided. This enabled him to easily explain the various opening and defense strategies while playing on either side of the board. These thorough analyses made me appreciate the amount of research that went into this work.

Chess is a game that requires a lot of practice to perfect your skills. I liked the emphasis on practice because chess is not something you can just read a book about and become an expert at. Taking all of this into account, I give "Chess Strategies for Beginners" 5 out of 5 stars because I could not find anything I did not like about it. As I previously stated, this book would be extremely beneficial to both beginner and expert chess players in terms of improving their game.

Chess Strategies for Beginners
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Prohlife Jobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prohlife-jobs.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Prohlife Jobs »

Chess is a hot topic now! This is the third book I have come across on this platform with this subject. I do love chess, though and won't mind reading about it.
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

This review offers a comprehensive look at "Chess Strategies for Beginners" by Eric H. Schuelke, highlighting its value for both novice and experienced players. The reviewer appreciates the book's historical insights, clear explanations of tactics and strategies, and the use of graphical images and real-life examples to aid understanding. The emphasis on the importance of practice in mastering chess is also noted. Overall, the review provides helpful insights for potential readers seeking to improve their chess skills.
Orji cyril Kaluokoro
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Orji cyril Kaluokoro »

"Chess Strategies for Beginners" is a comprehensive guide for both novice and experienced players, providing valuable tips for improving their game. The book begins with a brief history of the game, highlighting its ancient roots in various civilizations. It then discusses various tactics and strategies used in the game, focusing on short-term game plans and long-term ones. The book introduces several opening play patterns and demonstrates how they incorporate various tactics, using simple language to make the descriptions easier to understand.
Graphical images and real-life games from famous chess masters are used to aid comprehension, and the author's extensive knowledge of the subject is evident in his explanations of moves and their benefits. This thorough analysis of the various opening and defense strategies while playing on either side of the board makes the book highly appreciated.
Chess is a game that requires practice to perfect skills, and the emphasis on practice is appreciated. The book is highly recommended for both beginner and expert chess players, as it provides invaluable advice for both beginners and experts.
In conclusion, "Chess Strategies for Beginners" is a valuable resource for both novice and expert players, providing valuable tips and strategies for mastering the game.
Dominic Edeki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Dominic Edeki »

Chess strategies for beginners looks like my first book I'll read and review on this site. I love the game of chess even though I never learnt with it's standard rules. I would also want to improve in it. This review has highlighted the gains of reading this book and bit will be beneficial to me on all fronts.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”