Review of Point of the spear

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chioma Oz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chioma-oz.html
Latest Review: Flowers of Evil by N.L. Holmes

Review of Point of the spear

Post by Chioma Oz »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Point of the spear" by Eduardo Infante Antonio.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Point of the Spear by Eduardo Infante Antonio is a gripping firsthand account of the Vietnam War, following a recon platoon from 1966 to 1967. From historic battles to personal struggles, Antonio's narrative offers a vivid portrayal of the war's brutality and camaraderie amidst the challenges of facing a seasoned enemy in the jungle. With its blend of personal anecdotes and historical context, the book promises an immersive journey through one of history's most tumultuous conflicts.

Point of the Spear by Eduardo Infante Antonio presents a gripping firsthand account of the Vietnam War, pulling readers deep into the turbulent landscape of conflict from 1966 to 1967. Through the lens of a point man in a recon platoon, Antonio skillfully navigates the harrowing experiences of soldiers grappling with the unforgiving realities of warfare.

I really liked Antonio's intimate exploration of the human experience within the chaos of war; it was truly captivating. Through poignant anecdotes and vivid imagery, he paints a portrait of courage, sacrifice, and determination, revealing the diverse motivations that drive soldiers from all corners of America and beyond, including Guam. 

I could barely find anything to dislike about this book, but the graphic depiction of war's brutality and its emotional toll may prove difficult for some readers to engage with fully. However, I found only a few grammatical errors while reading through this book, which are not enough to detract readers from the main story; hence, this book was professionally well-edited.

I will rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because the story was well written, and the inclusion of pictures that capture some memorable moments of Antonio and his squad was also very thoughtful. I also appreciate the fact that some military terminologies were adequately explained for those who are not too familiar with those terms. The provision of sources and a bibliography also adds more authenticity to the book.

Point of the Spear by Eduardo Infante Antonio is recommended for history enthusiasts and those interested in gaining a firsthand perspective on the Vietnam War. Military personnel, veterans, and readers curious about human experiences in war will find it compelling. However, be prepared for the graphic depiction of the war's brutality. Overall, it offers a raw and authentic portrayal of a pivotal moment in modern history.

Point of the spear
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

As I read through the reviewer's insights on "Point of the Spear," I found myself drawn into the vivid portrayal of the soldiers' experiences during the Vietnam War. Their adept analysis of the book's narrative depth and portrayal of human resilience left me both compelled and informed. Loved your review.
Orji cyril Kaluokoro
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Orji cyril Kaluokoro »

Point of the Spear by Eduardo Infante Antonio is a captivating firsthand account of the Vietnam War, spanning from 1966 to 1967. The book follows a point man in a recon platoon, navigating the harrowing experiences of soldiers grappling with the unforgiving realities of warfare. Antonio's narrative offers a vivid portrayal of the war's brutality and camaraderie amidst the challenges of facing a seasoned enemy in the jungle.

The book is well-edited and offers a raw and authentic portrayal of a pivotal moment in modern history. The author's intimate exploration of the human experience within the chaos of war is captivating, revealing the diverse motivations that drive soldiers from all corners of America and beyond, including Guam.

The graphic depiction of war's brutality and emotional toll may prove difficult for some readers to engage with fully. However, the book is professionally well-edited and has a 5 out of 5 rating. The inclusion of pictures that capture memorable moments of Antonio and his squad is thoughtful, and some military terminologies are adequately explained for those unfamiliar with them. The provision of sources and a bibliography adds authenticity to the book.

In conclusion, Point of the Spear by Eduardo Infante Antonio is recommended for history enthusiasts and those interested in gaining a firsthand perspective on the Vietnam War.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”